Note to Ford, re: Raptor "market adjustments"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have any loyalty to your dealer if you are always looking for the cheapest price, so why should he show any loyalty to you?

It is perfectly reasonable for you to search for the best price. Just like it is perfectly reasonable for him to wait for the buyer willing to spend the most money.

Lets quit fooling ourselves. The people who complain about markups are just butthurt because they are too cheap to buy the vehicle they want.

Funny thing is if Ford mandated MSRP, demand would overwhelm supply and everyone would be complaining about the 2 year long waitlists to buy a Raptor.

I mean I don't know about the others here but I did the research and went to my local dealer just before buying at an MSRP dealer. I told them "I know I can get this truck for MSRP elsewhere I'll buy it from you today if you make the same deal." and they laughed me out of the room. So I drove an hour away and ordered it at MSRP.

My folks bought Fords from this dealer and I have in the past as well. Of course we check prices but we always gave them every chance to earn our business and they usually have. I respect their right to make that call but in the end is the 5k extra worth the loss of a regular customer.

I am not in the same industry but I can tell you if I have a customer who always gives me last call I'm going to work hard to keep their business.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My folks bought Fords from this dealer and I have in the past as well. Of course we check prices but we always gave them every chance to earn our business and they usually have. I respect their right to make that call but in the end is the 5k extra worth the loss of a regular customer.

Whose loyalty is worth more, the customer who always cross shops and tries to squeeze out every dime, or the customer who has more money than time and is willing to pay top dollar for service and convenience?

No doubt this dealer will make more money from that Raptor buyer than what they made from your entire family. Fact of life is some customers are worth more than others. Cross shoppers get the lest respect because they are less profitable and have so little loyalty.

No doubt they'll be happy give you a good deal on an XLT or Lariat that's been on the lot for a while, but they are not going to sacrifice a Raptor allocation to keep a cross shopper happy. They will save those for their most profitable customers.

As a businessman, I hope you give preference to your most profitable customers too.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whose loyalty is worth more, the customer who always cross shops and tries to squeeze out every dime, or the customer who has more money than time and is willing to pay top dollar for service and convenience?

No doubt this dealer will make more money from that Raptor buyer than what they made from your entire family. Fact of life is some customers are worth more than others. Cross shoppers get the lest respect because they are less profitable and have so little loyalty.

No doubt they'll be happy give you a good deal on an XLT or Lariat that's been on the lot for a while, but they are not going to sacrifice a Raptor allocation to keep a cross shopper happy. They will save those for their most profitable customers.

As a businessman, I hope you give preference to your most profitable customers too.

What about the reality that a lot of Raptor buyers paying 10k over msrp are not typical Ford buyers? They won't necessarily come back.

We aren't talking about xlts here either. My last two purchases (within 5 years) were a fully loaded FX4, and a decently spec'd Mustang GT and I'm not talking about getting below invoice on everything. My family has also been buying well equipped cars / trucks / suvs from them for a while. You think for 5 k they'll win out over the next 10 years?

I get what you are saying and it all works out in the end. They will sell their Raptors and I'll buy another at a reasonable price. It's just a shame my dollars couldn't go to support a local business that employs people in my area. At the end of the day the poor treatment will be the main reason they have lost my business.

Last edited:

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For ****'s sake, do people really not understand that it's possible to run a successful business without being a complete ************* about it?

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

No doubt they'll be happy give you a good deal on an XLT or Lariat that's been on the lot for a while, but they are not going to sacrifice a Raptor allocation to keep a cross shopper happy.

Let's not pretend these trucks are flying off the lots at $10-20k over...that only lasted a few months. In CA, most of them end up collecting dust on the lot because the dealers bought them form the midwest at or above MSRP and have no room to negotiate down.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

So the question for all the high-and-mighty people who criticize dealers for charging market prices on popular vehicles, when it comes time to sell your highly sought after used truck, are you going to sell it for the typical and "fair" used car discount, or are you going to squeeze every dollar you can out of your highly sought after used truck?

Hypocrites are hypocrites.

When I sell my cars, I just list them for the median sales price determined through KBB, TrueCar, Edmunds, etc and if that becomes a hassle I sell them to CarMax.

I'm also very explicit with potential buyers about any cosmetic and/or mechanical issues that I haven't fixed yet so that there aren't any post-sale surprises - life is too short to spend it trying to **** people over.

SuperAirDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I+want+this+truck_bd9344_5097090.jpg

Finally some spy photos of the production truck Chevy's R&D team has been so diligently working on to catch up to the Raptor... I heard it took first place in Baja! :mexsmoke:

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loyalty is earned by various means, including price and service quality. For example, I rarely cross shop Amazon anymore, because they earned my loyalty. Their service is great, and their price is almost always the best available. A few times I've shopped around, and ended up paying a little more to do business wth Amazon because I know what to expect and I know they'll take care of me. That said, while they've earned my loyalty, if their price and service go to crap, I'll find someone else to take my money. Any dealer who fails to see the value a repeat customer has a very short sighted view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk