NorCal Rallycross in a Raptor?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long story long: moving to northern CA is surprisingly B U L L S H I T. Virtually everywhere you go or think of going for some dirt therapy is fenced, owned, and unwelcoming. Without places to take the Rap I was starting to get disheartened with the truck. Damn near $7 a gallon for premium was also not helping. I was driving the truck 1-2 times a month....

Trying to think outside the box and reinvigorate my love for the truck I started looking into rallycross. I searched around and found @Big Blue and others had a good time with the Rap and figured I'd give it a shot. Now the tricky thing is SCCA rules actually ban trucks for being 'high center of gravity' vehicles and they're worried about people flipping it. On their forums they actually explicitly ban Raptors. I turned on my @John M charm and @smurfslayer wits and sent a nice and polite email explaining that I'm experienced offroading my Raptor (hopped a curb at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Dutch Bros, and Krispy Kreme) and guess what... they let me in!

With that in place, I still needed to figure out the gas situation... enter the wizard himself @GooseTuned with an E50 tune. Shhh the commies in Sacramento don't want you to know this one simple trick but the Raptor will happily run ethanol. And it's $3.89/gal. And it's a bio fuel. So I'm saving the planet Greta?

Okay, so now I have more power, cheaper fuel (lol @ my fuel economy), and a place to have fun. Here's the results:

52110454847_17319bdd8e_k.jpg52111534268_a83a5857ce_k.jpg52110467342_8fb0985b28_k.jpg52110466852_dbad01db45_k.jpg52111533823_6fb9e74afe_k.jpg

I had an absolute blast running around with a bunch of subies. The rallycross crew is a motley one at best and run such an eclectic group of vehicles including a Porsche Cayenne, Subaru Forrester (soccer mom edition), a Toyota pickup straight out of Afghanistan, and a 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo. Everyone was extremely welcoming, friendly, and helpful explaining everything to a newcomer. I became known as 'Raptor Guy' and everyone passing by had something funny to say or was genuinely interested in the truck.

Performance wise... not bad! The track was extremely narrow in places which made the Rap a handful but setting up for straights and knowing you have a small thermonuclear device under the right pedal made quick work of the sections in between cones. I think I got 8/11 in my run group of modified AWD cars and I was only about 10 seconds off of 4th place over 6 total runs. Surprisingly I only hit a few cones throughout my runs and as you can tell from the last photo, when they wetted the track it became extremely muddy and barely driveable.

Capping things off nicely, I won a raffle at the end of the day for some EBC brakes and rotors.

This is definitely my new thing, next RX is in two weeks and another one in August. More to come!

BlueSCrew19

Reaction score
I'm also in the Bay Area, and would love to hear more about where you are doing this, so that I can crash the party too! I've done a couple of the three-day rally schools at DirtFish in Washington, and that was the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. I'd love to try the same thing out in a Raptor.

OP
OP
Braaaaptor

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep your eye on myautoevents.com as well as norcalrallycross.com that's where most of the events get posted. From there I email the event organizers politely asking if I can register and confirming that I'm not a risk to flip a truck. Key thing is we're asking them to bend SCCA rules so politeness and non-goonery goes a long way. Hopefully one day we can convince them to set up a Raptor class :)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great photo's, thanks for sharing, looks like a lot of fun! If you're ever up in the Redding area, I used to take my Raptor up in the forestry roads by Whiskeytown Lake, haven't been up there in a few years now, so things might of changed.

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RallyCross is a BLAST! I'm waiting until I replace my tires to do another event. 29K miles on OEM's is not conducive to great times.