Need Help Choosing a Light (Front light bar)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to keep the Ford Light Bar on the front of the truck, but it might be time to replace the lights. I have been Using Hella lighting for a few years now, and unfortunately the products are letting me down.

(I have had great customer service, with them sending me free replacements for defective product, but I am tired of replacing bulbs every 3 months)

The lights in the pic below are Hella 500 series lights (6" dia), with Hella Optilux YB bulbs. I want to keep the round light look. I know KC selling the lights to the dealers, and has been a great supporter of FRF events, but we have a lot of other great vendors too.

Let me know your recommendations and why. I understand "you get what you pay for" but I am looking middle of the road. There are other things in the list first, but I really miss my offroad lights.

Pic of the truck
156374_10151349356336950_1307696560_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Y.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been happy with the light output of the hellas? do you want to be able to run at very high speeds?

ballpark budget

If you want the round look you'll probably be looking at HIDs, though there are some LED options out now. Ive been very happy with my vision X (8.7 inch halogen or 35 watt HID)

Cheaper options available from Baja designs, and an LED one too
LED
6 inch HID
8 inch HID

Last edited:
OP
OP
MTUH3

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is cool JV but out of my price range....

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Have you been happy with the light output of the hellas? do you want to be able to run at very high speeds?

ballpark budget

If you want the round look you'll probably be looking at HIDs, though there are some LED options out now. Ive been very happy with my vision X (8.7 inch halogen or 35 watt HID)

Cheaper options available from Baja designs, and an LED one too
LED
6 inch HID
8 inch HID

Light outputs was OK, but I would have wanted to set up two spots in the middle and two driving on the outside. I would like more light down range. I don't get to play to high speed at night, but fast I really like them for the farm as they come in handing running back and forth from the field or working at night.

My next purchase will be the Rigid fog light set up. I would probably want to stay in the 500 to 750 range
The Vision X is about where I would like to be for price / quality. Thanks

Last edited:

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the money, HIDX are great. They are a Euro beam and provide a wide, bright appearance.

If I were to do my hood lights again, I would do the 50w VisionX. They put out 5000 lumens where the HIDX did 3500.

I also like the Whelan light WSI sells. I like it because of the instant on LED and the interchangeable lenses.

OP
OP
MTUH3

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my short research so far... The Vision X Halogens cane be upgraded to HIDs later with the ballast and bulb set. This might be a good option to spread the cost out a bit.

I have seen a set of 8" HIDs for sale at O'riellys for $99 a pair, but I doubt the quality is there. However, I know a couple guys who have those on their H1s and offroad a lot and they have held up for 4 years now

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

For the money, HIDX are great. They are a Euro beam and provide a wide, bright appearance.

If I were to do my hood lights again, I would do the 50w VisionX. They put out 5000 lumens where the HIDX did 3500.

I also like the Whelan light WSI sells. I like it because of the instant on LED and the interchangeable lenses.

Thanks. I will look at those too