My truck in shop and dealer isn't giving me loaner. Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish there was an option for a factory service center. That would be amazing.
Yes! Too bad, places like RPG, SDHQ and Add amongst others couldn't perform warranty work on our raptors, sh-t would get fixed right the first time too.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to talk to a lawyer so that I understand my options. As I see it right now, having a lawyer put them on notice with a letter might get me taken seriously. It puts them on notice that if they don't deliver, they're going to buy it back and that will cost them real cash money. Ford has the parts, they just put one in @911 Crazy new truck. They lack the will or the ability to get one to Colorado and into my truck. And I'm sure they have the ability, they would rather book revenue than fix my truck. Typical bean counter attitude. Right now, best case, they're telling me it will be fixed around Labor Day, a few days before I'm due to leave for Raptor Assault and a 10-12 day road trip through Utah. I'm going on that trip, even if I have to rent a truck. Customer Service said that they should know on Tuesday whether one of the 16 parts that might be going to ship on 8/25 is earmarked for me. I think they are still working the housing solution, rather than the complete assembly solution. Yes, Phil Long Ford is possibly the worst and most corrupt Ford dealer in the country, but at the same time, FMC is failing to step up to the plate. Add one to the other, and the customer experience is lacking.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to talk to a lawyer so that I understand my options. As I see it right now, having a lawyer put them on notice with a letter might get me taken seriously. It puts them on notice that if they don't deliver, they're going to buy it back and that will cost them real cash money. Ford has the parts, they just put one in @911Crazy new truck. They lack the will or the ability to get one to Colorado and into my truck. And I'm sure they have the ability, they would rather book revenue than fix my truck. Typical bean counter attitude. Right now, best case, they're telling me it will be fixed around Labor Day, a few days before I'm due to leave for Raptor Assault and a 10-12 day road trip through Utah. I'm going on that trip, even if I have to rent a truck. Customer Service said that they should know on Tuesday whether one of the 16 parts that might be going to ship on 8/25 is earmarked for me. I think they are still working the housing solution, rather than the complete assembly solution. Yes, Phil Long Ford is possibly the worst and most corrupt Ford dealer in the country, but at the same time, FMC is failing to step up to the plate. Add one to the other, and the customer experience is lacking.
It's hard to believe that you are being treated like this. I don't blame you for giving up and getting a lawyer after all of this. Good luck.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that you are being treated like this. I don't blame you for giving up and getting a lawyer after all of this. Good luck.

I'm not giving up, I'm just refusing to be a doormat any longer. I'd prefer that Ford fix it. But if they won't, I want to move on with my life. Right now, my contingency plan is to rent a pickup for my Utah trip and then continue renting while I take my time to figure out what to buy. I'm thinking that used would be best, that way I wouldn't feel compelled to take it to a dealer just because it's under warranty. I could also look for one with an appropriate level of technology, ie less. Less stuff to break, and if it does break, easier to troubleshoot.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the lack of rental here. There are F150 Lariat demos galore. I see three Raptor demos at different dealers for sale within a half hour of me. Why can't FMC get a loaner Raptor to you, or at least something with a hitch?

Could you have had your truck towed to another dealer? Screw putting it back together, have those yahoos at Phil Long lower the lift, and get AAA to tow it somewhere with a decent loaner and a good service department within 100 miles for free.

What am I missing here? How has this level of ineptitude been allowed to continue unabated for months?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not giving up, I'm just refusing to be a doormat any longer. I'd prefer that Ford fix it. But if they won't, I want to move on with my life. Right now, my contingency plan is to rent a pickup for my Utah trip and then continue renting while I take my time to figure out what to buy. I'm thinking that used would be best, that way I wouldn't feel compelled to take it to a dealer just because it's under warranty. I could also look for one with an appropriate level of technology, ie less. Less stuff to break, and if it does break, easier to troubleshoot.
if it makes you feel any better, i drove by phil long where you truck is, and gave them the finger as i rolled by

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand the lack of rental here. There are F150 Lariat demos galore. I see three Raptor demos at different dealers for sale within a half hour of me. Why can't FMC get a loaner Raptor to you, or at least something with a hitch?

I don't know. My guess is that they have to sweet talk Phil Long into it and Phil is telling them to eff off.

Could you have had your truck towed to another dealer? Screw putting it back together, have those yahoos at Phil Long lower the lift, and get AAA to tow it somewhere with a decent loaner and a good service department within 100 miles for free.

Two different things are happening here at the same time. Phil Long is bad news, they screw everyone they can. The other problem is that FMC isn't stepping up to the plate. They're building and shipping Raptors, but they can't send a transfer case my way? They don't want to. Changing dealers only fixes one of those problems. I expect that Phil Long will fix it when they get parts.

What am I missing here? How has this level of ineptitude been allowed to continue unabated for months?

Colorado Lemon Law kicks in after 30 business days out of service. That would be next Monday unless Saturday counts. Didn't see that in the statute. At that point I may or may not have leverage. It all depends on FMC. I'm talking to lawyers now. If Ford won't fix it, they have to give me my money back, all of it, including taxes and registration, which is more than 10% of the purchase price in Colorado. They also have to pay my lawyer. But I have a hunch that beating a Fortune 500 company into submission with a lawyer is a losers game ... the lawyer enjoys it, FMC doesn't care, and I go without a car and without the money for a new one for months. Ford is letting me down. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my 43 years of car ownership. This even beats the time I got conned out of ten euros. At least that was over before I realized that it happened. This is more like the Chinese water torture.

sedav1

Reaction score
I never had any luck with a loaner at my Ford dealer. Never had that problem at any Audi or Porsche dealer. The raptor is awesome but there are definitely benefits of driving a lux brand.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Charlie Foxtrot goes on and on. I went nuclear on Friday after I found out that @TMart got a new transfer case in two days, called the manager, and got service supposedly to push harder for the new transfer case. Today they told me that Ford turned it down because the housing is supposed to ship this Friday. So it might be done late next week and I'll be out of my truck for only eight weeks. If they're not lying to me again. Corporate customer service has been ineffectual, at best. I put a call in to my lawyer this afternoon to ask whether it would be safe to start the lawsuit and buy another vehicle, but he hasn't answered yet. My fear being that since the law says that you have to give Ford time to correct the problem, I see them saying tah-dah! in two weeks and I end up with two cars. Then I went online, shopping. Fricking car inventory is near zero. For anything I might want, new or used. It's nuts. I mentioned buying another Raptor, since those are more available than most and it's what I really want, but my wife hit the roof. I think she's in orbit somewhere now, but when she reenters, she'll still be hot about it. Buying another Ford in her lifetime is going to cost me. It's a terrible time to buy another car. So my next question for the lawyer will be if I wait it out, get my truck back, something else fails, and the part isn't immediately available, can I force a buyback then? Can I wait seven months and force a buyback just because I feel like it? The car shortage isn't going to last forever. I'm thinking like a short-timer now. It's too bad. I love the ride, but the company has really let me down. I don't trust them to fix it. I'm sorry I took it in for warranty. What a mistake.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three separate major issues within the warranty period qualifies for a buyback at my local dealership. The department we deal with on the business side shoots us straight, and our personal and business trucks are serviced there.

The S.A.s the general public deals with when visiting that dealership nearly cost the dealership our business on more than one occasion.

I understand your struggles, there are good guys out there, just harder to find these days without spending a ton of time and money.