Moab, Manti La Sal, Ouray, Telluride, Gunnison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Miller

Reaction score
Each year I do a 2 week dispersed camping trip with the 2010 6.2. In 2020 it was the Moab/southern UT area, 2021 was around the Yellowstone/Tetons area, 2022 was Big Bend, and a few weeks ago I did Moab/Colorado again. I do other smaller or less camping-focused trips as well, such as the Smokies or the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail.

Here are some of those photos from last month in Moab/Telluride/Ouray/Montrose/Gunnison.

The headliner from White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP:

WhiteRim1.jpg

CanyonlandsRoute1.jpg

Canyonlands6.jpg

Canyonlands3.jpg

Canyonlands2.jpg

OP
OP
Adam Miller

Adam Miller

Reaction score
Just realized I didn't take many photos this trip--especially of the Ouray and Telluride. Both cool towns--moreso for Ouray. The size and steepness of the mountains on either side cannot be captured by photos anyway.

Ouray1.jpg

Ouray2.jpg

Telluride1.jpg

OP
OP
Adam Miller

Adam Miller

Reaction score
We're not in chronological order here--Montrose/Ouray were basically the first places on my trip and I camped at altitude south of town on the road up to Imogene Pass. They got a little bit of rain and snow the night before I was going to do Imogene, so I had to reroute to Ophir Pass via the Million Dollar Highway. Ophir was neither difficult nor all that special. It did snow at the peak though.

Ophir5.jpg

Ophir1.jpg

Ophir3.jpg

Ophir4.jpg

OP
OP
Adam Miller

Adam Miller

Reaction score
In actuality, I went from Ophir, bypassing nearby Telluride and immediately west over the Manti La Sals into Moab/Canyonlands for 4 or 5 days, then started back east to that pond I posted earlier for 4 days. Continued east to Telluride to give Imogene Pass another try.

Unlike Ophir, Imogene is no joke. Heading up from Telluride was a glorious day. I wouldn't call most of it truly difficult, but you absolutely must have a good high-lift 4x4. The dramatic shelf road is steep and narrow. There are also a fair number of other vehicles and getting by them can be...exciting. While it never got all the way into the danger zone, I let the transmission cool a couple times.

I reached the summit, took my photo, and tuned the corner for the descent back toward Ouray...or so I thought. The shaded north facing slope still had snow from the previous week. After a brief attempt I got out to survey on foot, noted how there wasn't a single tread through the snow, and said "F#@& that. If a narrow Jeep hasn't made tracks by now, I'm not going to be the first member of my family to fall off a mountain, trying to do it in a big-hipped Raptor."

Telluride1.jpg

Imogene1.jpg

Imogene2.jpg

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a similar trip about 5 years ago. Did Ophir first and Immogene is quite a fun pass but had the wife freaked a little over the narrow trail with long drop offs. Stayed in Ouray for the night and then did Cinnamon pass (easy) to Lake City and on to Denver from there. We've stayed at Durango a few times since, were there last fall. Beautiful drive on the Million dollar hwy in full Fall color. Never gets old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter