GEN 2 Locking the rear Diff in 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gen 2 does this no problem.

-Switch to baja mode
-switch back to 2wd
-switch tranny to manual
-hold traction button for 5 seconds

Enjoy all the tail slides, donuts, anti-lag shifts, you want.

I'd read something like this somewhere. Have you confirmed it to be true?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd read something like this somewhere. Have you confirmed it to be true?

I don't believe this locks the rear end. But I do a lot of ******* around high speed off road and that is my go-to mode for hooning. As noted in the video, I have never had issues with both rears spinning.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t the truck lock the rear as needed to keep traction? Even in Normal mode while it’s not full time, won’t the nanny’s activate it as needed real-time? Curious on its behavior. Off road is the only place to use it locked by any means other than a straight line street race.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t the truck lock the rear as needed to keep traction? Even in Normal mode while it’s not full time, won’t the nanny’s activate it as needed real-time? Curious on its behavior. Off road is the only place to use it locked by any means other than a straight line street race.
I believe it only locks both under loss of traction at both wheels, but you want it locked in 100% of the time, including around corners etc especially in the soft stuff, when climbing hills, you don't want the rear end going from one tire to the next in the rear. Doing the bunny hop thing, lol

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dont think it locks the diff, I think it plays around with braking to limit wheel spin.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm anxious to play with my truck in the snow. The 4-Auto setting in my Chevy is perfect in the snow. There's just enough delay in the system that you can kick out the rear and get a slide started before it goes into 4 wheel, then you can finish your drift in 4 wheel. I'm hoping my Raptor is similar.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe it only locks both under loss of traction at both wheels, but you want it locked in 100% of the time, including around corners etc especially in the soft stuff, when climbing hills, you don't want the rear end going from one tire to the next in the rear. Doing the bunny hop thing, lol

Agree for sure. So 4A any more locking action or has to be 4L/4H to be full time locked?

I have much more experience with plain posi(clutch/cone) and spools then with electronic locking rears.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dont think it locks the diff, I think it plays around with braking to limit wheel spin.

Argh, That’s not performance or fun behavior. Just more safety and reduction in performance. Makes sense how they would implement it this way however.