Leaking rear diff after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the dealer performed a full 4x4 service which was front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission fluid change. During this service, THEY installed the diff cover.

Waiting to hear from them this morning.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had my dealer install my AFE cover, but I also printed out the instructions and made sure the service manager gave the instructions to the tech.
It's important that it gets tighten down with a pattern and not to over torgue the bolts.

I'm sure it's in writing on your bill that they installed an aftermarket cover.
Hopefully they will do the right thing.

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the dealership took on the responsibility for installing the diff cover, then it's on them to make this right. If they did not explicitly follow instructions, my guess is that they over or under torqued the cover bolts and the gasket was either distorted or not fully seated against the diff housing respectively. It could also be that they didn't adequately clean the mating surface on the diff housing which would make it more difficult to get a good seal due to the irregular surface.

To be honest, I let the dealership touch my vehicle as little as possible. When they do, I back off and retorque to spec any fastener associated with a seal. Lastly, I always check fluid levels since it's been my experience that my local dealership service department likes to overfill or underfill. Unfortunately, it's not commonplace for all techs to have a sense of professionalism and/or give a damn about quality of work. Most are just trying to get from one job to another as quickly as possible.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, the service writer has to write or he'll get in trouble with the owner of the dealership.

Did they state they added to extra quart (or so) for the larger cover?
Three months ago, that's a big problem with running low.
You should have a sit down talk with the service manager (be friendly!!!!!) It works for me!!!
I've had my rear end totally rebuilt under warranty. Every bearing in the pumpkin was toast!

It will get you now where going in demanding they replace your rear end.

Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer says no damage done other than it was low on fluid and had a leak. They are fixing it free of charge and will be ready for pick up later tonight.

they said something about not torqueing it right the first time, and they are also using a layer of silicon this time around on the outside.

Last edited:

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer says no damage done other than it was low on fluid and had a leak. They are fixing it free of charge and will be ready for pick up later tonight.

they said something about not torqueing it right the first time, and they are also using a layer of silicon this time around on the outside.

Shouldn't need a layer of silicon... has an o-ring and I wouldn't think silicon is a good idea.