GEN 2 Intermittent No Crank No Start w/P06E9 Stored in PCM - Starter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to have kept your thread update since the beginning which unfortunately not often the case.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Rick at FMS I’ve suspected the integrated starter relay in the battery junction box the entire time, and was able to confirm it just yesterday. The issue has only occurred 4 times since January so it’s taken a bit of time. Each time the issue has occurred I have popped the hood and knocked on the top of the BJB with a small rubber mallet ( finely calibrated diagnostic device) that I’ve kept in the truck for this purpose. Each time I’ve done this the truck immediately fires up and the code clears using FORscan. I know from prior diag that pulling fuses and refitting doesn’t fix the issue so something on the inside has a poor connection and the starter relay is inside the BJB. I now have 4 times where the issue has happened and I’ll I’ve done is pop the hood, knock on the BJB with a little force, and she immediately fires up. Playing with it this afternoon I tried to go backwards and create the issue by knocking on the BJB but it had no effect. I’m going to look it up tomorrow in alldata and see what it takes to change it out.
Do you mind posting a picture of this BJB location so I can start hitting mine?

Rick at FMS

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Rick at FMS
I haven’t got around to tackling the project yet though.
View attachment 432927
Okay that is what I thought you were talking about. Mine has the SDI module on top of it so ain't going to be tapping it. But don't think that is really where the issue is anyways as that is just the lid and it's far enough away that it is not touching any relay. I have looked at everything in the fuse box and there are only two relays in there. One for the fans and the other one is the Powertrain control module. I have heard that the starter relay is intergrated in the wiring but I could be wrong.

Philken

Reaction score
I have the same symptoms. Had it 5 years now. Is no worse and no better. Very very intermittent.
I now have a basic scanner that can read codes.
My codes are:
P06E9
P0341
P0335
These are directing me to a crank shaft sensor. Maybe it's dirty, or slightly misaligned, since it does work 99% of the time?
I have a Ford Ranger XLT 2016.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this thread since I should be in the Gen 3 forums but the issue listed by many of you sounds like either a crank position sensor or cam position sensor. I’m familiar with this as it happens to jeeps often and I had one for 14 years.

OP
OP
raptortrav001

raptortrav001

Reaction score
Okay that is what I thought you were talking about. Mine has the SDI module on top of it so ain't going to be tapping it. But don't think that is really where the issue is anyways as that is just the lid and it's far enough away that it is not touching any relay. I have looked at everything in the fuse box and there are only two relays in there. One for the fans and the other one is the Powertrain control module. I have heard that the starter relay is intergrated in the wiring but I could be wrong.
I've confirmed the starter relay is integrated into the junction/fuse box via wiring diagrams. It was on backorder for a bit and has arrived today! I'm installing it this weekend and then I'm going to open it up to see if there is a smoking gun inside. If I don't find anything it will unfortunately be 3 or 4 months that needs to go by w/out an issue before I can declare it fixed. I'll update the thread with more soon.

Rick at FMS

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've confirmed the starter relay is integrated into the junction/fuse box via wiring diagrams. It was on backorder for a bit and has arrived today! I'm installing it this weekend and then I'm going to open it up to see if there is a smoking gun inside. If I don't find anything it will unfortunately be 3 or 4 months that needs to go by w/out an issue before I can declare it fixed. I'll update the thread with more soon.
Can you post a picture of the part and what the part number is?

OP
OP
raptortrav001

raptortrav001

Reaction score
So I ordered parts by Vin number through my local Ford store. I got after it this morning and removed the fuse box which was a PITA. Upon putting the new fuse box and old one side-by-side, I instantly realized I had the wrong part. The new box does not have nearly as many pins as the old box. Upon closer inspection, it’s clearly missing many circuits. It’s either for a vehicle with less options or a standard F150. There is a label on one of the PCBs that says Raptor and the new part does not have that.

To add to the fun, messing with everything has really pissed off the system and now it doesn’t start like every other key cycle. Where a simple knock on the box would fix things in the past, now it takes a full blown jiggle, several times, to make it work. Ugh…back to the parts counter on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1214.jpeg
    IMG_1214.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 5