In-Key Remote Start poor range?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great to know, good call!

Has anyone mounted the license plate ipass mounts behind their grill, or other inconspicuous location?

I mounted mine behind the grill. I didn't want it damaged when I jumped snow banks, you know. :) I will post a pic later.

Last edited:

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess mine is the exception. I can start mine from inside my office, in the middle of a brick structure, with the Raptor 100 feet away every time. The farthest i've tried it is about a hundred yards across a Wal Mart parking lot and it works fine.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if just moving the EasyPass all the way to the windshield corner would be enough...

I guess mine is the exception. I can start mine from inside my office, in the middle of a brick structure, with the Raptor 100 feet away every time. The farthest i've tried it is about a hundred yards across a Wal Mart parking lot and it works fine.

Do you have a cousin eddie steel plate in your head!?! Impressive nonetheless. If there's a 'no parking' sign in the way, i'm outta luck lol

i will make it out there one of these days. but if you ever run into any problems, im always here

I do know that, and have used it ;) Thanks guy

OP
OP
D

Dresden

Reaction score

Is yours the in-key or the fob? My "older" model had a FOB and it worked splendidly. It wasn't till they did the key-fob combo that I started experiencing issues.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2011, & my remote start does work way better than my ex-wife's 2013 Tauras SHO did. You have to be right up on her car to use the remote start.

I can start mine from inside a bldg, & I'm at least 200' away from my Raptor. I believe Ford has gone backwards with their remote start technology. Though it could be due to the thieves using technology to steal our code's to steal our vehicles. Anti-thief/anti-virus etc.., sure does make it harder for us to enjoy our toys.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of how I mounted my transponder.

IMAG2208_zpslgmcrh84.jpg

IMAG2207_zpspuviwipw.jpg

IMAG2205_zps2l5dnblr.jpg

IMAG2204_zpsrzuj1b0x.jpg

I used some scrap plastic tabs and SS hardware. The grill has since been Plastidipped.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had mine work from an 1/8 mile away with a cinder block wall between me and the truck, but trees make the range about 300 feet

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know how hard it is to search for Key FOB? Two three letter words, impossible! Lol....

Anyway, I've been have range issues with my remote for a few months now. Actually since December. I've mentioned it to the dealer every time the truck was in for work. But every time out would work at a relatively good distance in the dealer parking lot. Mine was bad, you had to be within 10 feet of the truck. This was with new batteries in both key remotes.

Finally, the dealer did some digging and tested it away from their lot and saw the problem.

They found a TSB and a replacement part inside the remote to replace. The range is improved to a reasonable distance.

fab028e2f06823208284d84efcb2581c.jpg

When the dealer called and said what he changed, I couldn't believe that a small gasket would make a difference. It wasn't until I changed out the second remote that I could see what was different.

a924f49694130cabbc6ff57f07a34426.jpg

1b29c154e6c9fbec1a3b833ddd0935a5.jpg

The new gasket gas two small nipples on it like. These must hold the battery into a better position with the contacts. That's all I could think of.

c7089d0b2d1f8a98c69e5f4d88668649.jpg

The part number is above. I can't imagine that it would cost much.

Chime in if you change out this part and it helps the distance you key remote out key fob works.

@The Macf

Yukon Joe

Last edited: