In-Key Remote Start poor range?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dresden

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. Love the forums!

I just got a 2014 Raptor - traded in a 2010 FX2. A couple things I noticed that have been bugging me about this upgrade...

First, the AC fans... OMG. I read this is normal, so I'm not going to harp on it, but what a joke... Can't even order from a drive through without turning off the fans. Any quieter after market fans by chance?

Second, and the reason I made this topic, is about the Remote Start range. Since I live in the hottest major metro in the country, Remote Start has always been a life saver for me. My 2010 had the fob with the remote start button, and the range on it seemed decent enough. And if I needed a boost, I could always do the jaw trick to extend the range. This ensure when I got out to my truck, it wasn't a blistering 160 degrees inside.

This new remote start that is in the key, itself, though, is just terrible. I tried both keys, and if I'm more than 100ft away, it won't receive the signal. And if I'm inside somewhere, forgetaboutit.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, has anyone figured out a fix? It seems a little silly to have a remote start that only works as you're walking to and almost at your truck already...

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run the viper alarm system. and with the interface module, it integrates into the oem system. the alarm itself has a 2way 1 mile range communication, and then with the smart start, gives me gps tracking and smart phone capability to lock, unlock, start, and open tailgate.

D

Deleted member 12951

Yep, the remote start range is an absolute joke. I had a 2008 Dodge Ram and was fantastic. Then got a 2011 KR and terrible. When I got my 2014 raptor, I checked into it and the remote start hasn't changed since my 2011 so I knew I would be pissed once again.

I opted for the Ford one that uses cell coverage and my smart phone. Cost $50 per year and so much worth it. I can start it from anywhere practically.

Viper will give you a bunch more features.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did I miss this? The only regret of selling my FJ, no more DEI smart start lol Really like that there is a factory ford option here too

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
How did I miss this? The only regret of selling my FJ, no more DEI smart start lol Really like that there is a factory ford option here too

As good as you are with wiring I would imagine you could cut the cost of an alarm in half by doing the install yourself. There has to be like 80 wires in the install....

I paid around $1200 with all my add ons, install, and the 5904 with remote start. The range is amazing.

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'll third the Viper family suggestion. I think I have the Clifford remote. I had the dealership sub it out before taking delivery to eliminate the range game in Phoenix's 110 degree days.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put an EasyPass transponder up behind the rear view mirror. Almost immediately I noticed the range of the factory remote start was cut in half. So, I removed it and got one that mounts to your front plate and the problem was solved. The range still sucks, but it's better than when I had the transponder blocking the remotes antenna, which is in the rear view mirror. Has anyone thought about upgrading the factory remote starts antenna?

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put an EasyPass transponder up behind the rear view mirror. Almost immediately I noticed the range of the factory remote start was cut in half. So, I removed it and got one that mounts to your front plate and the problem was solved. The range still sucks, but it's better than when I had the transponder blocking the remotes antenna, which is in the rear view mirror. Has anyone thought about upgrading the factory remote starts antenna?

Aargh that must be what is ******* with mine. Thanks joker.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great to know, good call!

Has anyone mounted the license plate ipass mounts behind their grill, or other inconspicuous location?

As good as you are with wiring I would imagine you could cut the cost of an alarm in half by doing the install yourself. There has to be like 80 wires in the install....

I paid around $1200 with all my add ons, install, and the 5904 with remote start. The range is amazing.

Ford looks to have done a good job making that kit quite painless, for most part plug n play. I never used any of the extra features on my viper, just want the cell remote start. I try to limit my possibility of hassles down the road, especially with the eec and harness after my last month long electrical gremlin hunt. For me spending the extra $100 at the dealer is money well spent.

Now If i had the infamous Noah in my neighborhood, it might be a different story ;)