ICOM 4100 Radio Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m brand new to HAM radios. I recently purchased a ID-4100A to use while off road. While on a recent trip to Baja, I was unable to transmit on station 151.625 among others. I was getting an error on the screen saying “out of band”. I was able to receive crystal clear, but could not transmit. I’ve tried doing some research online, and found a tutorial that walks you through modifying the radio for additional transmit frequencies. In reading through the instructions it doesn’t seem to open up the frequencies enough.

Range After The Modification:
RX Frequency

• 118.000 – 136.991MHz [AM]
  • 137.000 – 174.000MHz [FM]
  • 230.000 – 374.995MHz [AM]
  • 230.000 – 550.000MHz [FM]
TX Frequency

• 137.000 – 174.000MHz [FM]
  • 400.000 – 470.000MHz [FM

Anyone have an idea on how I can open up transmit frequencies on this radio to cover the range I need? Again, total newbie here if you can’t tell. Thanks in advance for your help. -Mike

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I have the ID-5100A Deluxe, however, the end result is the same once you have the MARS/CAP mod done. I purchased mine at GiGa Parts and they do the mod for $35.00 prior to shipping. I am able to TX/RX without errors. Depending where you purchased yours, you might be able to send back to your vendor. I chose the route to have them do it to maintain their warranty and BTW, the diodes are tiny and there were three to remove on mine. That is my $0.02s

GiGa parts:
To make an amateur radio capable of transmitting just outside of the amateur radio bands, this service usually involves the removal of a surface mount component inside of an amateur radio (along with some additional steps).

By having GigaParts perform this modification, you will retain the manufacturer warranty backed by GigaParts (should a problem arise from the modification we perform). Damage caused to the radio by transmitting too far out of its intended frequency range is not covered under warranty.

This service is usually performed for licensed operators from the Military Auxiliary Radio Service (MARS) or Civil Air Patrol (CAP), but we do not require proof of license to order this service. It is the responsibilty of each radio operator to make sure they are in compliance with FCC regulations regarding frequency usage, power output, and accepted equipment.

If you are looking for two-way radios for hunting clubs, racing teams, construction teams, family communications, or businesses, using a modified amateur radio is usually not the best solution. If you're looking for one of these solutions, please contact us! We have other radios available for those purposes and are happy to help you choose the best equipment for your application."

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCMike

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ID-5100A Deluxe, however, the end result is the same once you have the MARS/CAP mod done. I purchased mine at GiGa Parts and they do the mod for $35.00 prior to shipping. I am able to TX/RX without errors. Depending where you purchased yours, you might be able to send back to your vendor. I chose the route to have them do it to maintain their warranty and BTW, the diodes are tiny and there were three to remove on mine. That is my $0.02s
That’s great to hear! Is the mod you are taking about the same one i have linked above? All I need to do it remove the diodes and I’m good? Given I don’t screw of up, haha!

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I researched doing this "operation" for both my hand held originally (Yaesu FT-70DR, to compliment my Truck mobile) and for the ICOM, but after looking at the size and difficulty, I figured once I got the right tools, etc., and add the risk of ******** it up and not an electronics engineer...for 35 bucks, I'll let the experts do it.

I did inspect the boards after I rec'd the units, and it was a clean job and my rigs work correctly. So I can't complain nor worry about warrantee coverage.

OP
OP
SCMike

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Gigaparts too, so I’ll see if I can send it back and have them do it. Thanks for the suggestion.

advlife

Reaction score
I was curious about your install as I am looking at installing a similar setup.. just in the research the ICOM Vs Kenwood Vs Yaesu hardware for my 2018.. I have the antenna figured out center console already has a safe in it so that's a no go passenger area just looking for ideas
Thanks in advance

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have installed about 5 radios so far. Removable face plate is the way too fly. You can remote mount the radio anywhere then and then only have to find a good spot for you for the face plate and mic.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did the mod on my ID-5100 on the trail with a pair of fingernail clippers. There’s tutorials online that make it really easy. Did it to my ID-4100 before I even turned it on. Takes all of about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
SCMike

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did the mod on my ID-5100 on the trail with a pair of fingernail clippers. There’s tutorials online that make it really easy. Did it to my ID-4100 before I even turned it on. Takes all of about 10 minutes.
Awesome! I just watched a few online tutorials on youtube. Looks super easy. I think i'm going to give it a shot instead of sending it back to Gigaparts.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I just watched a few online tutorials on youtube. Looks super easy. I think i'm going to give it a shot instead of sending it back to Gigaparts.

It can be daunting cutting them off, because they're so small that you won't be able to solder them back on if you clip the wrong ones. But the photos that I found back then made it nearly impossible to screw up.

Oh, did I mention that they're small? haha