How many spares do you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you regretted the number of spare tires you went out with? How many spare do you think are appropriate?

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
two and a patch kit. so far, no flats. had to lend my jack out three times at events for other folks. someday, maybe instead of breaking my A-arm, I'll just get a flat instead.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Two spares, a big bottle of fix a flat, and a patch kit. Never had to use them but dumb asses will burn pallets in the desert. Boom there goes all 4 tires. God willing I'll never have to use them.

My very first outing was with DirtyFun and E63. DirtyFun got a flat driving over relatively flat terrain after 2 hours of legit rock crawling on Berdo Trail in Joshua Tree.

Seeing him get that flat opened my eyes. Anything can happen at any time. Off roading is expensive. Why cut my fun short with only one spare?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
after 3 TRR's I now also carry:

brake caliper bolts - 4
lower A-arm pins - 2
bolts to act as stand in event of a arm break - 2

while I've not gotten a flat, the above has happened to me, so now I know.

:Wedgie:

D

Deleted member 12951

2 spares myself (one under too) and a powertank tire kit.
yvy4y9u7.jpg

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two, a power tank and a tire plug kit. Have used both spares, plugged one and borrowed one off the chase trailer before on a run. I have seen guys get flats as soon as we hit the trail head. So two are needed if you want to venture very far into the desert.
I also read on here before, just carry one and borrow a buddies tire if needed. That's all well and good till someone ruins your $450 borrowed tire. Best bet is always be as prepared as you can be to fix your own truck.

BABaracus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For you guys running two spares in the bed on a rack similar to Outlaws/Saints, how much is the view obstructed through the rearview mirror by the tires?