Help with bed rug/bakflip f1 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its time to strat modding my truck but i need help guys anyone who can help would greatly be appreciated:
1- with the bed rug i need to get it under the rail caps do they have to come off or can i sneak it in there?
2- the bakflip has the 2 drain tubes with the bedrug do i drill through the bedrug an the end pieces for the drain tube,or do i put the tube behind the bedrug an run it between the bedrug,an bed of the truck??
3- the stock tie downs any suggestions on how to get them through the bedrug???
4- Morrie is the man he is a complete class act an took excellent care of me an helped me out BIG time thank you so much Morrie your are beyond a professional .Anyone who needs anything an wants to know about how he works he is a true professional an awesome to talk to. I can tell you that you have my business for life man you were a complete pleasure to work with.:peace:

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its time to strat modding my truck but i need help guys anyone who can help would greatly be appreciated:
1- with the bed rug i need to get it under the rail caps do they have to come off or can i sneak it in there?
2- the bakflip has the 2 drain tubes with the bedrug do i drill through the bedrug an the end pieces for the drain tube,or do i put the tube behind the bedrug an run it between the bedrug,an bed of the truck??
4- Morrie is the man he is a complete class act an took excellent care of me an helped me out BIG time thank you so much Morrie your are beyond a professional .Anyone who needs anything an wants to know about how he works he is a true professional an awesome to talk to. I can you have my business for life man you were a complete pleasure to work with.:peace:

1. Mine slid in with no problems not saying yours will do the same...
2. I ran mine behind the bedrug and poked holes in the oval rubber gromet..
3. I cut mine and then sewed the sides I cut so it wouldnt tear...
4. Great to hear!!!

Attachments

• DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 82

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, it'll go right in no problem. It has nothing to do with the rail caps or the tops of the bed at all. Once you get it, you'll see exactly what we're talking about.

You cannot put the tubes behind the bedrug. The height of the front of the bedrug is too great for them to be of any use. I used a knife to cut a slit in the bedrug and before installation, I removed the black plastic "door" piece thing and used a circular drill bit to drill a hole that matched the diameter of the tube.

I removed mine completely and then just drilled through the bedrug. The stock screws are self tapping, so feel around with your finger or a screwdriver and then go for it!

4- Morrie is the man he is a complete class act an took excellent care of me an helped me out BIG time thank you so much Morrie your are beyond a professional .Anyone who needs anything an wants to know about how he works he is a true professional an awesome to talk to. I can tell you that you have my business for life man you were a complete pleasure to work with.:peace:
Great to know! :waytogo:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
remove the tie downs, then put the bolts back in about 1/2 way. Install the bedrug, feel around for the bolt heads sticking out, cut an X over the head of the bolt with a utility knife, pop the bedrug over the bolt head. Undo one at a time and bolt it back in with the tie down. This way you're not fishing around in the dark for a bolt hole, you'll know exactly where its at, and it really secures the bedrug in with tie tiedowns bolting it to the bed sides, and no sewing required.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1- I just put mine under. Havent moved since

3- Remove the tie downs. Take a knife and cut holes where the two screws holes are. Screw the tie down in front of the bedrug securing the bedrug to in between the tie down and the truck bed.

OP
OP
NY SCREW

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok so i want to thank you guys for they help it is much appreciated reptar,hockster,Swoop,an xbx you guys all came through clutch for me an helped out alot so this is a quick picture guide for anyone else who may have questions

-first i whent to the store picked some alcohol wipes up to prep all the contact points for the bedrug an weather stripping for the bakflip

-then i chose to remove the tie down (me an my brother figured it would be easier to try it this way first). We also then set the bed rail up on the side an marked a point on the plastic grommet for the drain tube an drilled it out before anything else

-we then placed the bed rug in the truck only sticking the first 2 hook an loop fadsteners on to the floor of the bed to secure it. we then using a blade matched up the holes for the tie downs an pushed through on all 4 (i ould sggest running a piece of string or zip tie in the holes you created because they can be a pain to find again).

-we then whent on to finish installing the bed rug start at the back by the cab an work to the tailgate.i used 5 velcro strips per section an 5 per level (the sides you do 5 upper an 5 lower at your discretion make sure you look were your velcro will be contacting the bed you dont want it on a curvier surface try an have it on all flat points it makes life easier)we then finished attaching the bed rug***note: i did have a problem on the back left corner it whont sit flush but to be honest it dosnt bother me all that much because it was only the very top left corner where it meets the bakflip cover so its not visible unless the cover is completely off the truck(i can live with this) Also big big big warning do not DO NOT DO NOT let the Velcro(hook an loop fasteners ) stick to the actual bedrug it will screw it up an start pulling the material up!!!!!! be very careful to not let it come in contact with the actual bedrug you will regret it!!!!!!!!!

- then we installed the bakflip cover be fore warned the clamps are prone when tightening to move wich if you dont have your other hand securing it could lead to some pain when it slips. i could have done it by myself but its so much easier with another person.when your tightening down the clamps for the bed rail make sure the rail stays in place it will have a tendency to shift .I would highly suggest to check the rubber weather stripping when an after you are done installing the bedrails ,because when you are adjusting the rails the stripping may roll over itself an not give you a good seal ...if you want to prevent water from getting in i would fix this by running a credit card under it to pull it out an sits flat. i would suggest doing the middle first then the one closest to the cab followed bye the end one. you want the rail to sit flush on the back of the bed twords the cab to get a good fit. after that its a walk in the park. attach the tubes through the bed rug an your all done.

i am sorry the pictures suck but it was 25 degress in my garage an my truck dosnt fit all the way in so the door had to stay open so thats the best i could do

Attachments

• image-13.jpg
    image-13.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 183
  • image-6.jpg
    image-6.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 216
  • image-14.jpg
    image-14.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 203
  • image-12.jpg
    image-12.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
OP
OP
NY SCREW

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
an now the finished product i think it looks amazing an am very happy with it .if anyone has any questions i would be glad to help

Attachments

• image-11.jpg
    image-11.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 324
  • image-15.jpg
    image-15.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 213
  • image-9.jpg
    image-9.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 228
  • image-10.jpg
    image-10.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 195

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so i want to thank you guys for they help it is much appreciated reptar,hockster,Swoop,an xbx you guys all came through clutch for me an helped out alot so this is a quick picture guide for anyone else who may have questions

-first i whent to the store picked some alcohol wipes up to prep all the contact points for the bedrug an weather stripping for the bakflip

-then i chose to remove the tie down (me an my brother figured it would be easier to try it this way first). We also then set the bed rail up on the side an marked a point on the plastic grommet for the drain tube an drilled it out before anything else

-we then placed the bed rug in the truck only sticking the first 2 hook an loop fadsteners on to the floor of the bed to secure it. we then using a blade matched up the holes for the tie downs an pushed through on all 4 .

-we then finished attaching the bed rug***note: i did have a problem on the back left corner it whont sit flush but to be honest it dosnt bother me all that much because it was only the very top left corner where it meets the bakflip cover so its not visible unless the cover is completely off the truck(i can live with this)

- then we installed the bakflip cover be fore warned the clamps are prone when tightening to move wich if you dont have your other hand securing it could lead to some pain when it slips. i could have done it by myself but its so much easier with another person.when your tightening down the clamps for the bed rail make sure the rail stays in place it will have a tendency to shift .I would highly suggest to check the rubber weather stripping when an after you are done installing the bedrails ,because when you are adjusting the rails the stripping may roll over itself an not give you a good seal ...if you want to prevent water from getting in i would fix this by running a credit card under it to pull it out an sits flat. i would suggest doing the middle first then the one closest to the cab followed bye the end one. you want the rail to sit flush on the back of the bed twords the cab to get a good fit. after that its a walk in the park. attach the tubes through the bed rug an your all done.

Awesome... I didnt remove the tiedowns because I didnt want the bedrug between the tie downs and the bed. You lose clamping force on the tiedowns.. Ya just got to watch that they dont loosen up.

OP
OP
NY SCREW

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome... I didnt remove the tiedowns because I didnt want the bedrug between the tie downs and the bed. You lose clamping force on the tiedowns.. Ya just got to watch that they dont loosen up.

thanks man i will definitely keep an eye on that i appreciate it

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
. we then using a blade matched up the holes for the tie downs an pushed through on all 4 (i ould sggest running a piece of string or zip tie in the holes you created because they can be a pain to find again).

Hence back to my tip....remove the tie downs, reinstall the tie down bolts 1/2 way. Install the bedrug fully. Feel around by the tiedown area, you can easily feel the bolt heads. Cut an X over the bolt head and pop it through the bedrug. Remove 1 bolt at a time and install the tiedown, this way it lines exactly up, no holes lost, no searching for holes. :waytogo:

You don't lose any clamping force on the tiedowns putting them over the bedrug. The bedrug isn't 1/2" thick on the sides. It's maybe 1/4" and that compresses to less than 1/8" probably closer to 1/16" when compressed under a bolted in tie-down. They'll never loosen up, and you can still strap the living chit out of the tie downs. On several occasions i've had an engine sitting balanced on a tire, 1/2 on the tailgate 1/2 in the bed, ratchet strapped down soley to the 2 rear tiedowns, and hour + drives each way, several times, the tie downs didn't budge. You'd rip the threads straight out of the bedsides (or possibly buckle the bedside inwards before ripping the threads out) before you'd ever have a concern of a compressed paper thin piece of bedrug clamped behind the tiedown causing a loss of clamping force.