Help! engine trouble shooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While engine is running hold your finger on the wire connector on the canister purge valve.. If you feel it ticking under your finger and it get quieter then that is the problem..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

OP
OP
jeff

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone once the rain lightens up i will go do this, its never a great feeling when your pride and joy just isn't working right.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Glad to know I have people around who know so much and don't have a problem offering help.

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been running the 91 tune for over a year, never had a problem. Was running a trail when had same symptoms as OP with 3/4 of a tank. Limped home. We ran diagnostics at my friends shop, no codes thrown. Went back to stock and after 10-15 miles on the truck started to smooth out. Brought it into Ford later that day, they kept the truck for 2 days could not find anything wrong.

Still don't know what the problem was, but have had zero issues since returning to stock. Only change I am seeing is gas mileage has changed significantly from 12.7-13.1 mpg with tune to 11.7 MPG stock which I equate to my heavy foot.

OP
OP
jeff

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you ever return to the tune?? and did your sputter when hitting it hard and just slowly die out while idling??

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had same issues with sputtering and engine dying. Low oil pressure kept coming on. I have had zero issues since going back to stock. Not going back to tune anytime soon. I get some other issues to take care of. My national springs are as flat as a pancake. Putting stock springs back on and sending em back to get fixed.

OP
OP
jeff

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn sorry to hear that, i guess when it rains it pours i'm in the same boat just with a few other minor issues hopefully. I am more then positive that if you purchased with RPG they will take care of you , they got a good thing going there and are working there way up on the road to success. i've always been told "shit Happens" and theres nothing you can do about it. maybe you should contact mike @ 5 star I'm sure he can tell you whats wrong with it and if its the tuners fault and maybe get your tunes corrected. the truck drove great with the tune in it just a real bummer to back at stock and now im afraid to tune it again. i cant afford to damage the truck

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2. Most definitely cal 5Star and let them know what has happened....

You are dealing with hardware and software with the tuner and tunes...things gone wrong...maybe get another one sent out...

Btw- if you go to SCT's website their is a major update for our tuner...just a thought...there is even an app that helps with the downloading and installing the tuner update as well as saving backing up your tunes...PC only...

OP
OP
jeff

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sent 5 star a pm they said they do not know what it could be but to see if there is an update for the tuner device and then go from there. I'm just not trying to cause engine damage and don't know if it is smart or not to put the tuner back in. i only have about 43,000 on the truck. while holding the canister valve yesterday i felt a steady tick coming from there. could this be the main issue? does anyone know what exactly it is this part does and why it would cause the truck to sputter with a tune in it? COuld i have possibly gotten bad gas?

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

While engine is running hold your finger on the wire connector on the canister purge valve.. If you feel it ticking under your finger and it get quieter then that is the problem..

can you chime in on my above post please? about what it is this part does and why it would cause the engine ti not idle with a tune in it. truck has been doing good since going back to stock but still has a heavy tick coming from that part.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it ticks like that it is sticking causing a vacuum leak.. Especially when the O2 system is in open loop when you first start..

"The computer uses the oxygen sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture, which is referred to as the fuel "feedback control loop." The computer takes its cues from the O2 sensor and responds by changing the fuel mixture. This produces a corresponding change in the O2 sensor reading. This is referred to as "closed loop" operation because the computer is using the O2 sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture. The result is a constant flip-flop back and forth from rich to lean which allows the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency while keeping the average overall fuel mixture in proper balance to minimize emissions. It's a complicated setup but it works.

When no signal is received from the O2 sensor, as is the case when a cold engine is first started (or the 02 sensor fails), the computer orders a fixed (unchanging) rich fuel mixture. This is referred to as "open loop" operation because no input is used from the O2 sensor to regulate the fuel mixture. If the engine fails to go into closed loop when the O2 sensor reaches operating temperature, or drops out of closed loop because the O2 sensor's signal is lost, the engine will run too rich causing an increase in fuel consumption and emissions. A bad coolant sensor can also prevent the system from going into closed loop because the computer also considers engine coolant temperature when deciding whether or not to go into closed loop."

Once the truck is up to temp, it can use o2 sensors and adjust fuel to account for vacuum leak and run normally.

Unfortunately, with a bad canister purge valve the computer will disregard the over rich condition as being in open loop and not set any codes. So it is hard for Ford tech to diagnose unless they are familiar with the issue.