HelmHoltz resonator - No more drone !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Well.... we got lost in a miss understanding... Between emails, multiple phone calls, the sketch (which I left the original on the driver seat), they got it all wrong. They installed two resonators down stream of the X-pipe. And on top of that, when I started the truck I could hear a leak. I jumped under the truck (in my nice work clothes) and what did I find, a leak at one of their welds on the new resonators....

I went in the shop and asked for the owner to come out. He came out and I showed him the exhaust leak, which he immediately said he'd take care of. Then I pulled the drawings out while we where under there and started showing him what I wanted. He said he never even saw the drawings. So, oh shit.... we never even started on the same page.

He fixed the leak, and I told him I'd try it and see what I thought. If I didn't like it I'd bring it back and we'd try it my way.

I drove the truck a little bit, and it was a lot quieter. At take off with WOT, it was much quieter. No more braaaapbaaaap baaap baap, thupthupthup. I was disappointed. The drone was still there around 35 / 40 MPH but the exhaust was quieter overall. I wasn't able to get it cruise it at 65 for very long, but I wasn't completely happy. :mad:

RW and I had dinner and took the truck back so the guy can do it right.

We live an hour from Wilmington, so it's a pain to run a drop a truck off up there. And this isn't a good week. Got lots going on. I won't be going to get it until he sends me a picture of what it looks like. :flipthebird:

Yikes. That's really disappointing. Sorry Joe! However, no I'd be concerned about all the crap and filler they'll need to use to cover their **** up on the back of the x-pipe. Also, ensure they're at 29" OAL. But, I'm hopeful you'll be happy with it after you're all done.

Edit: I would have told them don't worry about me, you're going to need to answer to the pregnant, hormonal, crazy lady if you don't get it right!

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing the results. You only added the tubes right, or tubes and an X pipe?

I lost the original scope of the project and got confused with everyone comparing pipe ad tube length and size.....

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotacha, I think you will be happy, once it is done correctly.

Granted I had nothing after the resonator for a while on my truck, the drone was terrible. I was usually down shifting to 5th or manually shifting in general to get out of resonance. After I welded the exhaust back up (and removed over 50% of the glass in the muffler (not on purpose)), it was night and day. If / When I get to putting headers on, the truck will be right where I want it, exhaust wise

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty ******* beautiful, isnt' it?!
Yes it is. The hour drive home I could actually talk to RW over the radio. I even drove with the radio to enjoy the silence. Lol....

This morning's phone call was a rough one. The guy didn't want to do it, then he quoted me another $125 or come get your truck. I wasn't to happy, but I also knew he could do it and the shops I'd been to before wouldn't.

I picked it up a just now and checked it all over. Looked good. Measurements where right. So I went in to pay the guy and he said no charge. I didn't think that was completely fair so I still gave him some money.

The drive home was enjoyable. The low end braaapp braaapp blub blub blub was still there. Maybe a tick softer but not nearly as quiet with those resonators he made on there.

For anyone looking for a no drone fix, take that drawing I posted too a custom exhaust shop and see if they will build you one. It will put a smile on your face when you're done.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=868026

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yes it is. The hour drive home I could actually talk to RW over the radio. I even drove with the radio to enjoy the silence. Lol....

This morning's phone call was a rough one. The guy didn't want to do it, then he quoted me another $125 or come get your truck. I wasn't to happy, but I also knew he could do it and the shops I'd been to before wouldn't.

I picked it up a just now and checked it all over. Looked good. Measurements where right. So I went in to pay the guy and he said no charge. I didn't think that was completely fair so I still gave him some money.

The drive home was enjoyable. The low end braaapp braaapp blub blub blub was still there. Maybe a tick softer but not nearly as quiet with those resonators he made on there.

For anyone looking for a no drone fix, take that drawing I posted too a custom exhaust shop and see if they will build you one. It will put a smile on your face when you're done.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

~~ Raffle of $$500 Gift Card to Raptor Retrofit ~~ - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

I did the same thing, kept the radio low and was talking to the wife, had a big smile on my face... apparently the drone didn't bother her like it did me. Now every time she talks for a long time, I tell her I wish I left it how it was so I couldn't hear her... she doesn't like that; women are so complex.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As FYI,

I did talk to MRT more about this. They are considering selling a tube / muffler and tube option if customers are interested. You could buy the tube and install yourself or have a shop do. I am not going to say it will be more cost effective, but if people are interested in that type of option, let me know and I will talk to them more about it.

They use this type of "technology" on nearly all the exhaust systems they build. I am actually considering deleting the muffler on my H3 and adding a drone tube. That little I5 sounds pretty cool without the muffler.