Got it back from the dyno now the battery dies.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just hooked up my battery tender and did a slow charge to 100% and I'm now waiting the mandatory 8 hours for the BMS to do whatever it does.
6.2L engines do not have the battery management system. You can hook right to the battery with your charger. There are no special ways to charge or times you have to wait.

Mine sits a lot as it's not a daily driver- I keep mine on a bettery Tender Jr. It works fine. I like the Jr. models better than the standard Battery Tender as the charging "box" is at the outlet and it's only wire going to the truck vs having the charger plopped in the middle of the wiring.

BuiltRight

Reaction score
My advice would be as follows.
Dont start throwing money at the wall with new parts, figure out what it is, and then take care of it. Call your tuner. If theyre halfway decent, thell do what they can to help. Describe whats happening and just straight up ask if it could be related to the tune.
A parasitic draw test would be my next step, checking fuses and such. Most auto parts stores can test batteries and alternators too.

obviously different but my wifes jeep had a draw we couldnt find for the life of us. Jeep built relays into the fusebox that were inaccessable for testing or replacement. so it killed the battery. 500$ later a new fusebox and batter and she was good to go. These new vehicles are so complex these electrical issues can be a huge pain. Really hope its something simple!

OP
OP
Latchkey Kid

Latchkey Kid

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have figured this beast out!!! Hours of reading and research and I'm narrowing my focus down to the park position sensor in the console shifter mechanism. I've taken notice that the "P" is sometimes lit up orange-ish and sometimes not lit up at all. It has no rhyme or reason when it's on or off but jiggling the shifter causes the entire shifter indicator on the dash to flicker. I've also noticed sometimes I get in and before I insert the key, again, sometimes lit up and sometimes not. And once I closed the door causing the P to light up. As I have read further into this part it fails quite often and first sign of a problem is the auto-start function failing. I had that same first noticed issue. It's a 25-30$ part with about 30 minutes install time so if it's not the cause then no harm and not a huge hit to the bank account. I have found the same issue on the Gen12-F150 forum with all the same problem earmarks so I'm (semi)confident this will fix my issue. Well my battery issue anyway. I have several I still need to work on personally!!! (Ask all my ex-wifes)
I'm ordering the part tonight and should have it installed by early next week and I'll update everyone on the outcome. I'll try to do a workup on the install as well, for anyone that has this problem in the future. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240501_220151309.jpg
    PXL_20240501_220151309.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 8

brink

Reaction score
I may have figured this beast out!!! Hours of reading and research and I'm narrowing my focus down to the park position sensor in the console shifter mechanism. I've taken notice that the "P" is sometimes lit up orange-ish and sometimes not lit up at all. It has no rhyme or reason when it's on or off but jiggling the shifter causes the entire shifter indicator on the dash to flicker. I've also noticed sometimes I get in and before I insert the key, again, sometimes lit up and sometimes not. And once I closed the door causing the P to light up. As I have read further into this part it fails quite often and first sign of a problem is the auto-start function failing. I had that same first noticed issue. It's a 25-30$ part with about 30 minutes install time so if it's not the cause then no harm and not a huge hit to the bank account. I have found the same issue on the Gen12-F150 forum with all the same problem earmarks so I'm (semi)confident this will fix my issue. Well my battery issue anyway. I have several I still need to work on personally!!! (Ask all my ex-wifes)
I'm ordering the part tonight and should have it installed by early next week and I'll update everyone on the outcome. I'll try to do a workup on the install as well, for anyone that has this problem in the future. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Glad I was able to help. For other people wondering if you have this issue: the P on the dash cluster should be lit up orange if functioning correctly. If all the lights are white and the shifter is in park then you need to replace the plunger switch.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad I was able to help. For other people wondering if you have this issue: the P on the dash cluster should be lit up orange if functioning correctly. If all the lights are white and the shifter is in park then you need to replace the plunger switch.
OK now I am confused. Is the shifter P-N-D-M-ect has an orange dot that moves. is that supposed to be lit? or are you talking about something on the dash screen?

brink

Reaction score
OK now I am confused. Is the shifter P-N-D-M-ect has an orange dot that moves. is that supposed to be lit? or are you talking about something on the dash screen?

Right below the screen on the dash, the gear select indicator lights. "P" should be lit up orange like the picture below. If it stays white like the rest of the lights in this pic when in park the switch is bad.

1714666582555.png