Got Invited to a Trail Trip Raptors Can't Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been on that trail up to Thompson Lake and that's nothing you want a Raptor to mess with. The jeeps in the pics were coming in @ 88" wide but mot of the width is tires. The worst part is a 2 mile uphill that is loose and VERY rocky...My uncle had an '89 tacoma with a lift and air lockers $2000+ in body damage. If you take a look at those pics every one of those jeeps had some battle scars....

Ed Zactly!

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
**** it, invite this guy and you've got firewood and good entertainment, not to mention no clearance problems getting the Raptor thru.

texas-chainsaw-massacre_28.preview.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some info on the Dusy-Ershim from my friend Blair (a Jeeper) - he's responding to a guy who's going on the trip and taking a welder:

IMHO, the Dusy is basically as rough as the Rubicon but much longer and at substantially higher altitude. Some will argue that the tougher spots on the Rubi are worse than the Dusy. I won't quibble with that, really, but in practice its not much of a distinction. The Dusy has a lot of rocks too. So, yes, it would be great to have your welding services along. Or just you, of course. If I have to, I suppose I can always get back to Shaver Lake using ratchet straps for steering links. :)

And here's his response to me after I told him I'm not going to make the trip in the Raptor:

I saw some photos on Expedition Portal of a guy who ran the Dusy in a full size Blazer. He did it, but the rig was pretty much flattened on both sides. Or, maybe he ran the trail in that rig because it was ALREADY flattened before he started. Nevertheless, yeah, I think a shiny Raptor would be a bad idea. Sorry! Maybe you can buy a $3000 beater Jeep between now and then? :)

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea...i went out with a few friends that got heavily modified jeeps...i was far from ashamed to turn back on certain sections....so not worth the damage.

but it was hilarious cause when we hit sections that were more open...my truck shined like no other...they stood in awe like "**** i wish mine can do that" lol but i did do some of their trails, wasnt like i was totally handicapped. So i like the fact that i can step in their helm every now and then, but hardly could they step into ours....gearing, track width, different ride height and so on, just make it difficult.

Phil Howell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run the Dusy many times. On a few trips I was driving an H1 Hummer that's as wide as the Raptor all the way down the side and had a 130" wheelbase. All my jeeping buddies laughed and talked about how I'd be going home. I did go home - after the trail was finished. There were a couple of places that I had to jockey a bit, but most of the "narrow" spots were wide enough to get the big **** through (and no, I didn't scar any trees). I think that, unless big trees have grown closer together, that the Raptor could make it.

My most memorable Dusy oops was when I was going up Thompson Hill in a Jeep YJ and decided to back and try another line. My front diff caught on a rock as I was backing and rolled a GIANT boulder out of the ground. I was sitting almost vertical with the rock under me as Freiberger and Pewe from 4 Wheel & Offroad took turns laughing and taking photos. It was years ago, but maybe someone remembers the photos they ran.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even in the desert there are lots of trails that would just rip the fenders off the truck. That kind of wheeling would not even be fun in a Raptor. A Jeep hell yes, but a Raptor, even if it could make it, would be slow and hard to maneuver. Go buy a dirtbike/enduro Dan!
Honda_XR650L_120.jpg

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to boat house cove at lake mead. most of the trail was just peachy for our trucks, one part of it put deep deep scratches down both sides of my truck. cost about 1k to paint and buff.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell I'd try it... But only if Phil (in his Raptor) leads :)