GEN3 Buyback case has been opened.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a single gear that drives the shutters. Sounds like maybe the gear is clocked a few teeth off. Should be pretty easy to fix. Probably accidentally disconnected and the gears moved while pulling the shutters on the other side.

1683587759622.png

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the general sense of modification I mean sure, but there was no modification done to any electrical system or motor system. If I snapped those fins back into place, I cannot see how there is any chance that it would fix the fact that the motor wants to turn the wrong direct for a set number of times and turn the opposite direction. It makes no sense.
The grill shutter actuator is a smart motor, it communicates on a private bus to the PCM. It runs a self calibration routine to check the shutter operation and will set various DTCs if the results are outside of limits. It will continue to re-run the self calibration if a fault is present, which is most likely what you’re hearing.
Nothing else aftermarket on the bumper, no lights, just bumper. The OEM fog light connections are not connected to anything, but I weather proofed those before wiring everything else up and by wiring I mean plugging the connects back into all of the bumper sensors as well as the master harness connection that goes inside of the bumper.
The fog lights are powered by FETs (Field Effect Transistors) within the BCM. When you unplug the fog lights, the FETs detect the open and the BCM sets a DTC. After that DTC continues to set thousands of times over, the logic determines the fault detection is no longer valid and a U3000:49 sets, which disables the module and requires replacement.

How are you so confident that your mods aren’t involved when to don’t even understand how these systems work? And then you scream “lemon law”? :facepalm:

OP
OP
Luchh224

Luchh224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a single gear that drives the shutters. Sounds like maybe the gear is clocked a few teeth off. Should be pretty easy to fix. Probably accidentally disconnected and the gears moved while pulling the shutters on the other side.

View attachment 406607
Makes sense. I don’t think this is a motor issue or electrical issue, but what you said makes the most logical sense. I was going to take a look at it, but I don’t see a point. The dealer can diagnose and tell me if I made a mistake or not I’m fine with that if that is the case.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can lemon law it, I’ll be surprised. Here it has to be in the shop for more than thirty business days and/or more than three failed repair attempts. Maybe in Cali, they have famously aggressive lemon laws.

OP
OP
Luchh224

Luchh224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grill shutter actuator is a smart motor, it communicates on a private bus to the PCM. It runs a self calibration routine to check the shutter operation and will set various DTCs if the results are outside of limits. It will continue to re-run the self calibration if a fault is present, which is most likely what you’re hearing.

The fog lights are powered by FETs (Field Effect Transistors) within the BCM. When you unplug the fog lights, the FETs detect the open and the BCM sets a DTC. After that DTC continues to set thousands of times over, the logic determines the fault detection is no longer valid and a U3000:49 sets, which disables the module and requires replacement.

How are you so confident that your mods aren’t involved when to don’t even understand how these systems work? And then you scream “lemon law”? :facepalm:
If you unplug a fog light, you are correct that it will show that there is something missing, but if that is the case how have so many others been able to run ADD bumpers, without factory fogs plugged up and then moving their new lights and light bars to the AUX switches

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t see how it could be denied before even started. I know it hasn’t been in the shop long, but under the magnuson moss warranty act they can’t just deny something because there is an aftermarket part.
Correct.
They can deny something if, and I quote from the ford warranty that came with my vehicle, they will not cover “any damage caused to ford components due to failure of aftermarket parts is not covered”. If they can prove the bumper cause damage, sure, I can understand that, but the bumper itself altered no wiring or electrical components.
You relocated the CCM module and wire harness. Both are electrical. And the CCM needs to be precisely adjusted vertically with a level and horizontally with the Ford scan tool.
The grill issue COULD BE cause by me taking out the fins, and I only say that because I can’t be 100% but, I literally cannot see how that would cause this fin issues to happen when it was operating just fine for over a month and a half before it started up.
Why would you spend $83k+ on a vehicle and then guess about the consequences of modifying it?