Gen2 Discussion for Gen1 Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the trans will lock out with the different modes. like rock crawling top half will be locked out, dessert top half, and on road bottom half.

Most likely. Just like on many vehicles when you push the 'towing' button it locks out OD. The new modes will most likely lock out gears, and have programs for the tranny to hold gears longer or shorter to keep rpms up (baja mode?) or down (rock crawling?).

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely. Just like on many vehicles when you push the 'towing' button it locks out OD. The new modes will most likely lock out gears, and have programs for the tranny to hold gears longer or shorter to keep rpms up (baja mode?) or down (rock crawling?).

But But But .... OffRoad Mode will be there also, won't it? Gotta admit, Im anguish to se how all this "intelligence" works together.

The Raptor cheat sheet gotta be a mess.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just throwing out some numbers. If these were the new gen2 numbers, would that lean you any more towards picking one up?

475 horses
546 lb-ft

What about 500 horses and 575 lb-ft?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Just throwing out some numbers. If these were the new gen2 numbers, would that lean you any more towards picking one up?

475 horses
546 lb-ft

I'm not so worried about power. In stock form, the engine far surpasses suspension capabilities. When you get down to it, it takes a lot of suspension work to out-drive the engine. Gen 1 owners know what I mean.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not so worried about power. In stock form, the engine far surpasses suspension capabilities. When you get down to it, it takes a lot of suspension work to out-drive the engine. Gen 1 owners know what I mean.
Exactly, do you want more horsepower? YES!! Do you need more horsepower? NO!!

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But But But .... OffRoad Mode will be there also, won't it? Gotta admit, Im anguish to se how all this "intelligence" works together.

The Raptor cheat sheet gotta be a mess.

My sister has a Land Rover LR4 and it has 'Terrain Response' 'Rock Crawl', and some other modes. They all seem to work great for their purpose. Pretty much takes the guess work out of the situation.

So yes, for the Raptor its dumbing down all the systems so every normal Joe can figure it out. So now when someone goes into the snow/sand/rocks/mud/etc, they dont have to ask themselves "Should I lock the rear diff?" "What 4x4 mode do I need?" "Do I need to turn off esp/bas/traction control?" It does what is best for MOST (not all) situations when it comes to those terrains and for most people itll be fine.

Sure some might call it making the Raptor "soft" or a "street queen" but all its doing is making it less intimidating for people not as comfortable with offroading or all the systems and what they are/should be used for.

If Ford was smart they would put a "dont do shit mode" where everything is turned off and you can then turn things on/off a la carte style to suit what you want for your exact situation. Think of this mode as a hardcore offroad mode that takes a couple steps to activate. That way everyone is happy.

475 horses
546 lb-ft

Id take 475hp and 546 lb-ft. Throw some intake and exhaust bits on with a tune and youre already way past the 500hp mark with a little investment.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it has 1000 hp will it still have a 100 mph government don't do that ??

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure some might call it making the Raptor "soft" or a "street queen" but all its doing is making it less intimidating for people not as comfortable with offroading or all the systems and what they are/should be used for.

Id take 475hp and 546 lb-ft. Throw some intake and exhaust bits on with a tune and youre already way past the 500hp mark with a little investment.

It's not calling it soft, it's making it soft.

Hope everyone realizes once they tune, the power train warranty goes out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.