Gen 3 Transmission blown after 6k miles…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rptr3723

Reaction score
My 3 gen 37 package w/ less than 6k miles on it went into limp mode a few days ago and I barely made to the dealers service department. The dash displayed a “shift system fault” warning and power train failure. My initial thinking was that it had to have been an electrical issue, albeit, the technicians findings indicated that it was mechanical, thus requiring a whole new tranny. This is my second Raptor; my 2 gen also had a litony of issues. I’m really hoping this is an anomaly but I’m really disappointed w/ Ford… This is a Baja capable vehicle that should not go down so early in life and for a $100,000 price point. Haven’t even had the chance to get it off-road. Any similar to experiences and/or recommendations?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better now than out of warranty later, if thats any consolation.

Also 100k?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First post? Maybe introduce yourself in the new member’s section first, along with some obligatory photos of said Gen 3.

Just because the issue is mechanical in nature does not mean the entire transmission requires replacement; they are fully serviceable. However, it’s possible they’re replacing it under the low time in service policy, which allows the dealer to replace the assembly if certain time/mileage requirements are met.

OP
OP
R

rptr3723

Reaction score
Possibly, will update the forum w/ the result of the new tranny install. Joined the forum out of despair following the failure.lol and yeah 100k after taxes and such for a 2023 37 package. Any chance ford would extend my warranty as a curtesy given it crapped out so early in life?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Possibly, will update the forum w/ the result of the new tranny install. Joined the forum out of despair following the failure.lol and yeah 100k after taxes and such for a 2023 37 package. Any chance ford would extend my warranty as a curtesy given it crapped out so early in life?
You can always call customer care and ask, they may be willing to offer you a something for the inconvenience.

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford contacted me on their own and extended my warranty for free on my 37 PP. It was a nice gesture.

But like you, I had issues on my 2020 Gen 2 and 2022 Gen 3. Didn’t have a transmission issue though.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Gen 3, but all these transmission (and some transfercase) failures are big turn-off for the truck. Can't imagine spending 100K on a dud. Hopefully it gets fixed and all these posts are the result of issue concentration (it's a forum for specific models and people are much more likely to report issues than stop by to say there's no problems).