GEN 3 Cost-effective mods for happier off-road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, that is very ambiguous. And our truck is not exactly cheap, but I find it to be cost-effective after spending big $$$ trying to teach my power wagon do good in the desert :) So I'm hoping people to post mods they feel to provide a great value along with necessary mods for off-roading. You know you can do well on stock suspension, but God forbids you to run Death Valley without extra shock guards. In the meantime, I'm not a fan of cosmetic bumper changes or all those threads discussing how to run 37s on 35 because it won't do any better off-road and it's not cost-effective IMO.
Well said!

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • "Still undecided what to put up front for easier fluid change as sucking it out is not convenient and won't remove all shavings."
Until my warranty runs out, my dealer will change my oil. Not giving Ford ANY excuse to claim the truck was not properly maintained and squeak out a of a major repair such as "R&R engine!". After that I will use this: pan valve
also ordered one of these: lift

OP
OP
R

Raptor2022

Reaction score
  • "Still undecided what to put up front for easier fluid change as sucking it out is not convenient and won't remove all shavings."
Until my warranty runs out, my dealer will change my oil. Not giving Ford ANY excuse to claim the truck was not properly maintained and squeak out a of a major repair such as "R&R engine!". After that I will use this: pan valve
also ordered one of these: lift
I was talking about the front diff :)
I'd also advice against any fumoto valves as I've seen them keeping shavings in the pan.

Last edited:

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the front diff :)
I'd also advice against any fumoto valves as I've seen them keeping shavings in the pan.
Wonder how that would happen. Unless they protrude into the pan enough to create a ridge or barrier. Good to know, I will investigate further!

OP
OP
R

Raptor2022

Reaction score
Wonder how that would happen. Unless they protrude into the pan enough to create a ridge or barrier. Good to know, I will investigate further!
Also kids these days wreck KIAs because of a stupid "tiktok challenge". You never know if "sabotage old farts fumoto valves" won't be next lol. And those are just too easy to sabotage.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Peragon looks nice. Does anyone know if the cover gets hot to the touch? I’ve been considering the Diamondback because of its durability and ability to dissipate heat but this could be option.

Btw I just watched a review that said it was not as good as others in the rain.

Last edited:

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Peragon looks nice. Does anyone know if the cover gets hot to the touch? I’ve been considering the Diamondback because of its durability and ability to dissipate heat but this could be option.

Btw I just watched a review that said it was not as good as others in the rain.
depends on what color you get...black? Yes, it gets pretty warm. Don't know who wrote said review but mine does not leak at all and let me tell you! It rains in the Pacific North West.

OP
OP
R

Raptor2022

Reaction score
A bit of a strange mix of stuff. Not sure where you are located and how much you plan to go offroad, but if you are out west and like the desert, id redo your list. Drive the truck and take your time to figure out what you want to improve. I am still adding to my truck after several years, but additions and changes are for a reason.

Take your time, or you'll waste $$

If you want to see what other Gen 3/Gen 2 do for the desert go here:
I feel you but my thread is not about turning Raptor into a trophy truck. we're talking about small quality-of-life changes that help you banging the desert yet keeping you as close to stock as possible.

I've not included rock rails here as honestly I see no need in them unless you go crazy with rock crawling yet they bring vibrations on pavement due frame loosing it's flex on the sides. And even Raptor Assault trucks don't have rocks rails! Raptors are good in bashing washboard roads without crazy rock ledges and that's what I'm focusing here: protection from gravel spray, dustproofing, diff cooling, etc.

That is not to say I'm not looking into some form of rocker protection that won't introduce unnecessary vibrations, but I havent found any. There were Randy Ellis sliders for Power Wagon but not for Raptor.

I've not included any extensive light setups as they are rather expensive and you don't really need lights during daytime except for extreme dust conditions and I don't find it fun to off-road at night time nor I find it fun to go through a dust storm left by some other vehicle as my idea for offroading is to see the scenery, not to challenge myself with obstacles and ruin my truck.

YMMV but my thread is about small cost effective mods.

amschind

Reaction score

I just got this and will have it installed with the Torsen. The only off the shelf or semi-custom option that I've found with a drain plug. They also offer a fill plug, but that's less of an issue as it's 1) obstructed behind the steering gear and 2) we already have a fill port on the differential housing.