Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking you are correct, and the fact that it happened when the tank was near empty. Means there was a more room for gas vapor/pressure. Plus, if the pump is in the tank, an near empty tank would expose the pump, creating more noise..

-Greg

So, found out some new info here on this. I was wrong and they are using the manifold vacuum to run its test..

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Check Monitor

The EVAP leak check monitor is an on board strategy designed to detect a leak from an opening equal to or greater than 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) in the enhanced EVAP system. The correct function of the individual components of the enhanced EVAP system, as well as its ability to flow fuel vapor to the engine, is also examined. The EVAP leak check monitor relies on the individual components of the enhanced EVAP system to either allow a natural vacuum to occur in the fuel tank or apply engine vacuum to the fuel tank and then seal the entire enhanced EVAP system from the atmosphere. The fuel tank pressure is then monitored to determine the total vacuum lost (bleed-up) for a calibrated period of time. Inputs from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor or cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor (if equipped), intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, mass airflow (MAF) sensor, vehicle speed, fuel level input (FLI) and fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor (if equipped), are required to enable the EVAP leak check monitor.

During the EVAP leak check monitor repair verification drive cycle, clearing the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and resetting the emission monitors information in the powertrain control module (PCM), bypasses the minimum soak time required to complete the monitor. The EVAP leak check monitor does not run if the ignition is turned OFF after clearing the continuous DTCs and resetting the emission monitors information in the PCM. The EVAP leak check monitor does not run if a MAF sensor concern is present. The EVAP leak check monitor does not initiate until the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) monitor is complete.

If the vapor generation is high on some vehicle enhanced EVAP systems, where the monitor does not pass, the result is treated as a no test. Therefore, the test is complete for the day.

Some vehicle applications have an engine OFF natural vacuum (EONV) check as part of the EVAP leak check monitor.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
What's a "drive-in?"[/QUOTE

That's the place where your momma and daddy made you.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Here is the trick - the Australians came up with

Going 4WD - Tanami Pro Pump - YouTube

Compressed air creates heat, gasoline has a low flash point. Suprised no one has been killed by this yet.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Wow Hock. You know your snizzle. So Turn off truck to fill and do Not put an aux fuel tank plummed into stock one.

Trav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't own my raptor yet so forgive me for some of my limited Raptor know how. Coming from a Dodge Diesel 36 gallon tank with at least a 400 mile range. Switching to Raptor SCAB has me looking at adding a fuel transfer tank to at least make the raptor carry 26 gallons in OEM tank and 10 to 15 gallons in a transfer tank for a combined carry of 36 to 41 gallons. That way if a SCAB and a SCREW are traveling together and lets say most SCREW owner carry one 5 gallon gas can. You are apples to apples for traveling distance.

I love traveling Baja and i fear 26 gallons will not be enough to get in and out of some of the remote offroad locations.

After reading some of the posts i wanted to run my idea by you guys to see if the whole vacuum issue would come into play.

Lets say you added a transfer tank to your bed. Plumped it to the tank (would think tapping into the filer neck would work) inline from the transfer tank to the filler neck of OEM tank run a fuel pump and filter.

Put the Pump on a switch.

During normal driving conditions the OEM tank should still pressurize or whatever since the the auxiliary pump form the xfer tank is OFF? Then when you need to top off stop the truck turn off the motor. Flip the switch transfer fuel from reserve tank to OEM tank. Once done turn of xfer pump turn back on truck.

You guys think this would work?

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't own my raptor yet so forgive me for some of my limited Raptor know how. Coming from a Dodge Diesel 36 gallon tank with at least a 400 mile range. Switching to Raptor SCAB has me looking at adding a fuel transfer tank to at least make the raptor carry 26 gallons in OEM tank and 10 to 15 gallons in a transfer tank for a combined carry of 36 to 41 gallons. That way if a SCAB and a SCREW are traveling together and lets say most SCREW owner carry one 5 gallon gas can. You are apples to apples for traveling distance.

I love traveling Baja and i fear 26 gallons will not be enough to get in and out of some of the remote offroad locations.

After reading some of the posts i wanted to run my idea by you guys to see if the whole vacuum issue would come into play.

Lets say you added a transfer tank to your bed. Plumped it to the tank (would think tapping into the filer neck would work) inline from the transfer tank to the filler neck of OEM tank run a fuel pump and filter.

Put the Pump on a switch.

During normal driving conditions the OEM tank should still pressurize or whatever since the the auxiliary pump form the xfer tank is OFF? Then when you need to top off stop the truck turn off the motor. Flip the switch transfer fuel from reserve tank to OEM tank. Once done turn of xfer pump turn back on truck.

You guys think this would work?

If the screw carries 5 gallons carry 10. You'd be surprised Offroad how the fuel consumption isn't the same across vehicles.

Been on many trips I have a scab and we usually all need fuel around the same time. With an extra 5 gallons it's no worry

Trav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the screw carries 5 gallons carry 10. You'd be surprised Offroad how the fuel consumption isn't the same across vehicles.

Been on many trips I have a scab and we usually all need fuel around the same time. With an extra 5 gallons it's no worry

Thanks again Huck, Being new I value all the experience you guys can provide.

GabAlmighty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I understand the practicality and ease of use of having an extra tank that automatically, or at the push of a button, transfers your fuel. But what is the problem exactly with having an aux slip tank in the bed that you have to get out and pump the fuel manually into your tank? Is it laziness at not wanting to pull over and fill it up manually? Deezee.com has some nice example of slip tanks. You can get a rectangular one that only takes up about 9" of your bed (Long Rectangle Auxiliary Tank - Brite-Tread) or you can get combo units that are L-shaped with a toolbox on top that will carry about 2-3 full tanks of fuel for you.

This way you can always fuel up your friends if the situation arises as well as all your toys while out camping or in the bush.

Just a thought...

D

Deleted member 12951

I thought I recall seeing a thread where someone replaced his tank with a 36gal one instead and had a pretty good write-up on it?