Front Suspension Pop/Clunk Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HulkSmash23

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently had new shocks, 2.5 Geisers and +3 Deavers installed on my 2017. A few weeks later and I am chasing a pop/clunk noise. My local shop thinks it’s the UCAs. Ford dealer said they couldn’t find anything wrong but did retorque the LCA cam bolts. I then replaced the sway bar links.

The noise frequency has been reduced. I’m going to have my local shop validate the everything is torqued to spec especially the lower shock mount bolt.

Should the lower shock mount bolt and nut be replaced with new shocks? If so, does anyone know the part numbers?

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the shock shaft top nut (the center one). This is a common source of front end clunks especially after a spring swap. You'll need two wrenches, one to keep the shock shaft from spinning and one to tighten the nut down to take out any slop.

No, the lower bolt doesnt need to be replaced with new shocks. I've never seen it referred to as a torque to yield bolt.

OP
OP
H

HulkSmash23

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I’m going to have my local shop ensure the springs are seated properly, all bolts are torqued properly and go from there. Given the number of posts referencing a bolt not properly torqued, I’d think that was the cause and necessarily bad UCAs. I’m only at 53k.

Last edited:

pavendort

Reaction score
Check the shock shaft top nut (the center one). This is a common source of front end clunks especially after a spring swap. You'll need two wrenches, one to keep the shock shaft from spinning and one to tighten the nut down to take out any slop.

No, the lower bolt doesnt need to be replaced with new shocks. I've never seen it referred to as a torque to yield bolt.
Can the top nuts be accessed easily? From the engine bay or wheelwells? I have this same knock after having the shocks rebuilt.

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not difficult but its aggravating because its such a cramped area in every direction. I've only had success doing it through the wheelwell and pushing up on the liner slightly to give me more room for both wrenches and hands.