Front end clunk - is this sway bar end links? (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atayl5513

Reaction score
I have the same clunk in my 2018 and it is at low speeds, going over bumps and uneven ground. Mainly front driver side. I had it at the dealership and they said everything was fine on control arms and ball joints. Going to change out the end links I suppose and see if that works. Does anyone know if the replacement parts come greased and the torque you should tighten them down at?

Rattpter

Reaction score
I have the same clunk in my 2018 and it is at low speeds, going over bumps and uneven ground. Mainly front driver side. I had it at the dealership and they said everything was fine on control arms and ball joints. Going to change out the end links I suppose and see if that works. Does anyone know if the replacement parts come greased and the torque you should tighten them down at?
I had the same issue, checked everything underneath, including spare tire, with no evidence of loose/worn components. Going through a few threads, found it to also be end links, noise is now gone :) Below are the part #'s w/ nut torque values. The end links come pre-greased with a non-serviceable boot/plastic cap and from what I'm hearing, they commonly wear by 20-40k miles which is BS!

Part #: HL3Z5K483B - Link x1ea
Part #: W520215S441 - Nuts x4ea

.....................................................................NM...lb-ft......lb-in
Stabilizer bar link nuts.......................................80......59........N/A

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar clunk at low speeds over smaller bumps. Changed the end links. Fixed it. The old end links barely had any play in them.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This reminds of end link noise on C5/C6 vettes GM used cheapo plastic/composite end links that would wear way before anything else in the suspension did, much easier to pick up on tho b/c the suspension/steering is obviously so much tighter to begin w/ on those.

Anyone know if Ford ever changed vendors or updated the end links on later models? Reason I ask is b/c right before my 2018 Raptor got totaled I had 44k miles on it & I believe it was starting to exhibit this exact noise/issue, but I now have 62k miles on my 2020 & still no noises or looseness to speak of whatsoever throughout the whole damn truck (not that that’s a bad thing lol)

I’m also curious b/c when the time does come if there are better aftermarket replacements and/or particular Ford part # to check I’d like to know.

Do people typically replace ball joints on these trucks or the whole A-arm assembly?

noorj

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank those in this thread! My gen 2 started clunk from the front end over dirt roads/washboard/some potholes at lower speeds once it hit roughly 65k miles.

Got underneath the truck to try to feel if the endlinks had any play but the did not move/rattle/shift at all. Decided to still put 2 new sway bar end links HL3Z-5K483-B and bought 2 sets of new nuts W520214-S440 and noise is completely gone. <$150 and less than an hour to do both sides, highly recommend trying this if you have a front end clunk

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my passenger side at 98k. Driver side was done about 30k, still seemed good. You really have to to have all the weight off the suspention to tell. Sitting on the ground you cant get the end links to move my hand. Maybe with a pry bar or vice grip as suggested. I just knew mine likely had to be the passenger side since it hadnt been done before. Part of me just wants to go do the driver as well for good measure.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to steal the thread but sounds similar to this? I am still trying to figure out where the sound/clunking is coming from

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i was probably in 4H or 4A there.
Doesn't make that noise in 2wd
If you put the truck in 4A on the street, does it make the same noise? Logic would say that if it is making the noise in AWD or 4WD then it's gotta be coming from the IWEs or the front diff or the transfer case...