For anyone who has ever doubted catch can...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I asked you WHY. Do you not have an understanding of catch cans? Do you understand what blow-by is? Why these are even more important on boosted engines? Done much drag racing in your time? Let me guess, your first boosted engine..and a 3.5 with baby turbos...sad. Take a stab at why California made them illegal. Just Try. All Ears.

Any modification to a vehicle's emissions system is considered an Emissions Tamper and will cause a vehicle to fail the California smog check... regardless of whether the modification will improve or degrade harmful emissions output.
I have an understanding of catch cans. I understand what blow-by and off is. I know about both turbo and supercharged engines. The Raptor (18 and 19) are not my first turbo engines. Since you're new to this forum and like to spout off, I have over 20 years in engine and performance motors and motorsports. But dont let that get in your way of being an ******.

You asked how they were illegal, and you have answered your own questions after a series of google searches on your part. It's tampering the emissions systems from a vehicle manufacture.

Either way, I will take Ford Engineering , Research and Development, over anything some keyboard warrior says. If there was a marked improvement, they would be all over the place on not only the raptors, but every other boosted engine. Regardless of what you think (if you can even do that) catch cans are not universal, or prevalent in the automotive space.

But you seem to know more than Ford does so go and waste your time and money. I really dont care what you do.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an understanding of catch cans. I understand what blow-by and off is. I know about both turbo and supercharged engines. The Raptor (18 and 19) are not my first turbo engines. Since you're new to this forum and like to spout off, I have over 20 years in engine and performance motors and motorsports. But dont let that get in your way of being an ******.

You asked how they were illegal, and you have answered your own questions after a series of google searches on your part. It's tampering the emissions systems from a vehicle manufacture.

Either way, I will take Ford Engineering , Research and Development, over anything some keyboard warrior says. If there was a marked improvement, they would be all over the place on not only the raptors, but every other boosted engine. Regardless of what you think (if you can even do that) catch cans are not universal, or prevalent in the automotive space.

But you seem to know more than Ford does so go and waste your time and money. I really dont care what you do.
You KEEP saying that but Ford builds them. You obviously didn't pay attention to the questions I asked you earlier so let me mansplain it to you. It is not in their best interest to prolong the life of a vehicle. It is a cost they need not incur. People...want to do anything and everything...well some of us....to take care of our 70k-80K trucks. It is a FACT....that if you install a catch can you will highly deminish the amount of oil and water that go back through your system. It is also a fact that oil and water are not good for combustion. So no you don't have to have one...but it's a good idea that in fact HELPS. But please tell me how brilliant you are in vehicle engineering again. And I am an *******, but I'm a nice guy till someone spews misinformation in such a fashion. Have a GREAT day!(Me being nice!) ;)

For You ;)

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I am still up in the air (but leaning towards) installing a CC. I firmly agree about removing the mist as much as possible; however, I DO NOT understand why they only purge one side?
There are manufactures that make passenger and driver side more elaborate systems. It seems however most comes through the passenger side or covers you in the biggest way. This can be another whole discussion in itself, not to mention baffling/valving. Some will argue you may only be catching while not under boost without a more elaborate system.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shane must be the new Sasquatch... do we need to drill weep holes in our intercoolers too?
New to THIS forum doesn't make me new to forums, vehicles or manhood. Getting rid of the oil and water before it goes back into the combustion chamber and drilling holes in your intercooler are not even relatable. Everyone in this forum is now "dumber" for having read that.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask any engineer who has worked and developed a product for large scale manufacturing and use. There is a line between the perfect solution and one that satisfies the problem which has multiple individuals/groups or agencies overseeing the release of product

You have the EPA which has it mandates and rules. Example, why do these dam trucks not remember I want auto/stop off and sport mode on… well to get their epa MPG numbers you have to start the truck and drive and do nothing to set it to its rating mode. That is why every car that has sport never defaults to it. Thank your EPA.

You have bean counters which after hundreds/thousands of hours/miles of testing, they have a choice to make. What is the optimal risk v reward V statistics. How many time do people ***** about why Ford put plastic oil pans in this motor when metal has been the defacto since the motor carriage was invented. Well the bean counter got with the accountant and reviews the data of the engineer and makes a decision. We can expect to save X on this pan no matter what happens. It is implemented and what happens, the one thing these people miss is the value of opinion of the public based on their analytical decision.

The Gen 3.5 in my 15 lariat by 80k miles average 13 city 15 highway(at 65 mph). Replaced plugs every 20k and coils twice. Finally a friend scooped the valves and they looked like the Rocky Mountains. Yea that was pre port injection.

The engineer who designed the motor may have wanted the “catch can” bu lt the bean counters and epa changed his mind

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my Jaguar F-Type R (Supercharged 5.0 L V-8), and it does catch quite a bit of blow-by. That engine is ONLY GDI and no port injection. I just put one on my Raptor as well - fairly cheap, does catch some of the oil/vapors, and doesn't hurt anything...And was something fun to do to the truck! I also added Water/Methanol injection, and in addition to Octane boosting and cooler Charge Air temps, the steam/mixture also cleans the engine top end (Also have WMI on my F-type R and 997 Turbo).

So between the catch can and the WMI, it should keep this puppy clean and cool...Time will tell.

DC

1S.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You KEEP saying that but Ford builds them. It is not in their best interest to prolong the life of a vehicle. It is a cost they need not incur.

As soon as you make a statement like that you lose all credibility. It’s in the manufacturer’s best interest for the vehicle to be as robust as possible. That matters for warranty cost as well as customer satisfaction. Ford wouldn’t sell 150k+ extended powertrain warranties if they didn’t have confidence in their own product.

People...want to do anything and everything...well some of us....to take care of our 70k-80K trucks. It is a FACT....that if you install a catch can you will highly deminish the amount of oil and water that go back through your system. It is also a fact that oil and water are not good for combustion. So no you don't have to have one...but it's a good idea that in fact HELPS. But please tell me how brilliant you are in vehicle engineering again. And I am an *******, but I'm a nice guy till someone spews misinformation in such a fashion. Have a GREAT day!(Me being nice!) ;)

For You ;)

A factory air/oil separator with a drain would add to cost/frequency of maintenance and would be neglected by most people. That would result in the PCV system overflowing liquid sludge into the engine or restricting airflow and causing crankcase pressure buildup and subsequent failures.

The factory PCV includes a valve cover integrated oil/air separator. That means the crankcase vapors and moisture travel through the intake and are then combusted. There is no liquid oil entering the combust chamber. The reason you see it in the catch can is because the crankcase vapors and water are condensing in the line and can.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my dual catch cans on since day one and have never had any oil collected, other than an oily dip stick on the catch cans. I have 8,000 miles and it’s been two years. I did get a service engine light at about 4,000 miles, roughly a year ago. The adviser Attributed the fault to my catch can. I can’t remember the explanation, but they cleared the code and replaced a part, I believe a valve. since then, no other codes and still no oil in the catch cans.
i am considering removing them, although the set is so well constructed, it actually looks factory installed

p

Attachments

• 164AF579-A3A8-4C83-BC70-42DC7CF3FF59.jpeg
    164AF579-A3A8-4C83-BC70-42DC7CF3FF59.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 36E1778A-E8C5-43DF-9702-D40E0F88DC7B.jpeg
    36E1778A-E8C5-43DF-9702-D40E0F88DC7B.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 05872423-4B3E-40BC-A681-723E627CF4F1.jpeg
    05872423-4B3E-40BC-A681-723E627CF4F1.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 35

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had my dual catch cans on since day one and have never had any oil collected, other than an oily dip stick on the catch cans. I have 8,000 miles and it’s been two years. I did get a service engine light at about 4,000 miles, roughly a year ago. The adviser Attributed the fault to my catch can. I can’t remember the explanation, but they cleared the code and replaced a part, I believe a valve. since then, no other codes and still no oil in the catch cans.
i am considering removing them, although the set is so well constructed, it actually looks factory installed

p
That is indeed a beautiful set-up! Do you see boost often or more daily driver? Hopefully you will never see blow-by. Possibly more as your mileage goes up and rings wear a bit.