For anyone who has ever doubted catch can...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also a believer in oil catch cans, so here is my 2 cents; any turbo or supercharged engine usually has an intercooler and the oil "mist" tends to collect on the cooling fins, the increased blow by is due to the positive air pressure inside the intake and engine, higher crankcase pressures will carry more mist out via the PCV flow path, after enough builds up over time it caramelizes onto the cooling fins reducing the cooling efficiency. This lowers performance since the charge going into the engine is warmer and not as dense. It's not that a catch can will improve the existing performance, it will preserve that performance by keeping the oil away from the intake internals that degrade performance over time. As to why mfg.'s don't install them on stock vehicles, cost, cost that add to the production without improving performance are not in their scope. And if you are not driving your vehicle hard you may not notice the small loss of power over time. However, if you install the catch can and drain it at every oil change it will help keep the intake and intercoolers cleaner and preserve the engine performance. Not sure which one I will go with for the new Raptor, Any recommendations?

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am also a believer in oil catch cans, so here is my 2 cents; any turbo or supercharged engine usually has an intercooler and the oil "mist" tends to collect on the cooling fins, the increased blow by is due to the positive air pressure inside the intake and engine, higher crankcase pressures will carry more mist out via the PCV flow path, after enough builds up over time it caramelizes onto the cooling fins reducing the cooling efficiency. This lowers performance since the charge going into the engine is warmer and not as dense. It's not that a catch can will improve the existing performance, it will preserve that performance by keeping the oil away from the intake internals that degrade performance over time. As to why mfg.'s don't install them on stock vehicles, cost, cost that add to the production without improving performance are not in their scope. And if you are not driving your vehicle hard you may not notice the small loss of power over time. However, if you install the catch can and drain it at every oil change it will help keep the intake and intercoolers cleaner and preserve the engine performance. Not sure which one I will go with for the new Raptor, Any recommendations?
I'm sure the many 10's of thousands of miles and countless hours of engineering and development of the raptor and modern engines in general say otherwise. Catch cans now are the equivalent of a solution in search of an older problem that simply isnt a concern anymore. especially with emissions being what they are. I would side with ford in this case. Why stop at a catch can? get a turbo timer too.....

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Port injection as the 3.5 eco has, will keep your intake valves clean and not allow them to get cocked up. But I see his other point in keeping the blow bye extra clean and scrubbing it with a catch can. It could further reduce oil fumes entering your IC and intake or polluting your intake charge. How much will it clog your components over time? Or how much will it really affect power? That’s all questionable.

But to run one and be on the extra safe side may not hurt. I have collected nothing but pure oil in mine and empty a small amount every couple of oil changes. And I don’t have any milkshake as some have shown.

A necessity no, extra protection maybe yes.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the many 10's of thousands of miles and countless hours of engineering and development of the raptor and modern engines in general say otherwise. Catch cans now are the equivalent of a solution in search of an older problem that simply isnt a concern anymore. especially with emissions being what they are. I would side with ford in this case. Why stop at a catch can? get a turbo timer too.....
You don't think Ford produces catch cans? lol Is it a cost maybe they don't need to take on? Would it benifit them more or less if your vehicle broke down sooner or later? Is it a good idea to coat everything with oil and water from the point of reentry to the combustion chamber? Simple Question Really. Let me guess...you use premium, rotate your tires, change your oil, wax your truck but this isn't necessary? lol

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't think Ford produces catch cans? lol Is it a cost maybe they don't need to take on? Would it benifit them more or less if your vehicle broke down sooner or later? Is it a good idea to coat everything with oil and water from the point of reentry to the combustion chamber? Simple Question Really. Let me guess...you use premium, rotate your tires, change your oil, wax your truck but this isn't necessary? lol
Dont be so dramatic. You REALLY think Ford wants to take on more warranty work when they can avoid it? Get real. Also, Catch Cans are NOT legal in some states so riddle me that one. The truck is 50 state compliant but the catch cans aren't. Sorry, But I will believe the Ford engineering over some keyboard warrior any day.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont be so dramatic. You REALLY think Ford wants to take on more warranty work when they can avoid it? Get real. Also, Catch Cans are NOT legal in some states so riddle me that one. The truck is 50 state compliant but the catch cans aren't. Sorry, But I will believe the Ford engineering over some keyboard warrior any day.
Your stupidity brings out the dramatic response. Smart enough to tell me why they are illegal? How are they hurting the vehicle? Fact of the matter is they collect oil and water that WOULD have gone back through your entire system. This really is a no brainer.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your stupidity brings out the dramatic response. Smart enough to tell me why they are illegal? How are they hurting the vehicle? Fact of the matter is they collect oil and water that WOULD have gone back through your entire system. This really is a no brainer.
Speaking of no brain. You can read it here yourself. Assuming you can read.

From JLT themselves. Scroll to the bottom of the description
*This product is NOT CARB (California Air Resource Board) Exempt. It is not for legal sale or use in the state of CA or any other states adopting CA emission standards and require a CA Executive Order (EO) number. Any orders placed for this item with a CA ship to address will be cancelled.

From Amazon.....

Pokey

Reaction score
Okay, I am still up in the air (but leaning towards) installing a CC. I firmly agree about removing the mist as much as possible; however, I DO NOT understand why they only purge one side?

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of no brain. You can read it here yourself. Assuming you can read.

From JLT themselves. Scroll to the bottom of the description
*This product is NOT CARB (California Air Resource Board) Exempt. It is not for legal sale or use in the state of CA or any other states adopting CA emission standards and require a CA Executive Order (EO) number. Any orders placed for this item with a CA ship to address will be cancelled.

From Amazon.....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I asked you WHY. Do you not have an understanding of catch cans? Do you understand what blow-by is? Why these are even more important on boosted engines? Done much drag racing in your time? Let me guess, your first boosted engine..and a 3.5 with baby turbos...sad. Take a stab at why California made them illegal. Just Try. All Ears.

Any modification to a vehicle's emissions system is considered an Emissions Tamper and will cause a vehicle to fail the California smog check... regardless of whether the modification will improve or degrade harmful emissions output.