Event Data Recording in the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OnStar is different. Its "voluntary". You can legally unplug it. These are two different issues and technology.

I wouldnt say voluntary, even when your subscription ends they still collect the data, i doubt disconnectin the onstar is as easy as takin out a fuse or unplugging a wire

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting... you would think it would have a more integrated system, some1 wants to steal your car, pop the trunk disconnect and just drive away without fear of gps tracking...

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
My truck got stolen and since I wasn't subscribed Onstar didn't do shit to help me find it. Not that I expected them to.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
About 8 years ago my wife had an accident in our van, totaled the van but the air bags did not deploy. I asked GMC about it and they sent a tech out he downloaded the data showed me actual forces vs threshold value. It included speed, throttle position, breaking force etc.

It probably wont be long until the cops just plug in to the truck and print the tickets.

They already do. I completed the Civilian Police Academy curriculum with a nearby police department, and this came up in the traffic section of the course. The police can access the data if they want to use it to press criminal charges, and that data can be subpoenaed and used against you in a civil suit.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of OT:

One of the guys from our Evo group was just denied warranty coverage on his engine.

It turned out that on the new Evo X's there's an RPM datalog in the computer for the control of the center diff(not the ECU that runs the car). Mitsubishi found one overrev event and used that to deny his claim. He is a salesman at said dealership, and only knew this because one of the tech told him.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question I have is how long does the computer maintain the information it would use for an "event". It has to record and save information(how long and much) at all times and then include it with the event. What is the overwrite parameters for all the non event information. Does it, after each startup it erase previous info or does it just maintain the info until the "disk" is full so to speak and then start overwriting the oldest info. In that case what's the data capacity?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This world is getting like one party phone line, from computers to cell phones and now this. No information is private anymore.

What else does "big brother" want us to register? I am really surprised they did not force us to sign a waiver that said this was in the truck and its an invasion of your privacy and you don't care.