Emergency Beacon/Pager

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is an old thread on this topic that @treypal provided some good input on. I think @BigJ may have started it. I'll see if I can find it.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Edit:
SHIT.... don't tell RW that I remembered something from that long ago. Lol... that will screw up my "I don't remember that" routine. Lol...

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger, Tracker and Emergency Locator - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

Some good info in that thread! I found a bunch of useful articles/threads on the subject for those following along at home:

SPOT Gen3 satellite messenger vs DeLorme inReach SE - GPS Tracklog

Spot 3 versus Delorme Inreach - ADVrider

Are Satellite Messengers a Good Alternative for PLBs?

spot gen3 vs delorme inreach tracker - Salty Kisses

The Best Personal Locator Beacon and Satellite Messenger | OutdoorGearLab

How to Choose the Best Personal Locator Beacon - OutdoorGearLab

From this its a fairly unanimous lean towards the following:

* If you want SOS only service buy a dedicated PLB device that uses COSPAS/SARSAT and 121.5MHz emergancy frequency.

* If you want a 2 way messaging device the reliability of messaging and coverage are way better on the iridium backed InReach devices.

Now the out the door pricing and service cost seems to be a little higher with the InReach.

I think I will be going with the InReach unless someone has a really good reason not to? I'm also considering adding a CB rig to the truck for access to channel 9/19.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I've been running a spot for 6 years. I have a gen 3 now that's mounted in a cradle on my dash and hardwired via microusb. I pay for the extreme tracking so it never turns off.

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of these are great devices and the choice comes down to feature set and pricing.

I took a rental route cause a couldn't stomach spending money on a service I wasn't using. When I go on big trips I rent a device called Cerberlink. Cerberus - Global Connectivity for your Smartphone
It pairs with your smart phone and allows GPS tracking, emergency beacon, and two way text messaging on the iridium satalite network. You can rent for two or four weeks starting at $64 which includes service. I have used the device extensively on three 2 week trips where there was no cell coverage. I was very pleased to be able to communicate with friends and family, and have the ability to send an SOS to emergency services if needed.

Just another option.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget about Amateur Radio. HAM radio licensing is easy enough. I am in range of 2 meter and 70 cm repeater towers far more often than cell towers in my neck of the backwoods. Some HAM radio repeaters are linked together so their range is huge. Some of these repeaters are even set up so a HAM radio operator can make telephone calls through. With HAM radio, you can use APRS to send and receive short "emails" in addition to sending out tracking information so others can see exactly where you are. Many off roaders are making the switch from CB to HAM radios for group runs too.

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about that watch that had it built in that was on that top gear episode?

I think you are talking about the Breitling Emergency, it's great but expensive and the beacon is not for off-road use! I had one and they make you sign a waiver saying that you know the beacon is for aviation emergencies only.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget about Amateur Radio. HAM radio licensing is easy enough. I am in range of 2 meter and 70 cm repeater towers far more often than cell towers in my neck of the backwoods. Some HAM radio repeaters are linked together so their range is huge. Some of these repeaters are even set up so a HAM radio operator can make telephone calls through. With HAM radio, you can use APRS to send and receive short "emails" in addition to sending out tracking information so others can see exactly where you are. Many off roaders are making the switch from CB to HAM radios for group runs too.

I have a 50W VHF/UHF rig in the truck, but need to take the test so I can use it to the full extent. I just ordered the InReach and hope it lives up the the expectations the reviews and articles set. I also picked up a small CB rig from amazon warehouse deals for a steal which I will be adding to the truck for this trip.

As for the HAM rig I will be programming at least the following channels:

* 155.1600 FM - LAND SAR Channel
* 462.675+ FM PL 141.3 REPEATER - GMRS 20 - Repeated emergency channel

I will also be making sure all MURS, FRS and GMRS channels are programmed.

Chris Crampton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my Spot all the time in the States and Mex. There's about 20 of us close friends on different teams that have them. We have the tracking option and can see where our buddies are at. We also have one on the race car for out of radio range situations.

Reaction score

I agree 2m/70cm is the way to go.

With my Icom ID-5100A I can send my GPS location, voice, text and pictures to anywhere in the world for free on the DSTAR network.

The GPS feature can auto search the nearest repeater to my location and the bluetooth capability allows me to control the radio using my cellphone. Routing a transmission through repeaters is mindless using built in software. Cellphone compatability allows me to view who I am speaking with on a digital topo map and send or recieve text messages/photos through my radio to other DSTAR users.

Attachments

• DSC01204.jpg
    DSC01204.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 98