e85 vs. 50, another thread....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrm

Reaction score
Hello, I am fortunate enough that the local GATE gas station has e85. I can fill it up there with ease and it's plentiful in NE Florida.

I'm concerned about reliability/engine corrosion, etc... I have CR performance turbos, new manifolds, CAI, radiator, thermostats, tubes, downpipes, turbo adapters, you name it. But I want this car to last a long time.

We do long road trips so while I can do e85 for most of the year. I'd have to switch back eventually, and I'm worried about residual stuff. But if absolutely necessary, I'm willing to run the tank out and then manually pour 93 in.... but that would be annoying.

I also don't want create problems by making my car too powerful.

I will be on the MPT dyno next week....

noorj

Reaction score
Would fueling modifications do you have? straight E85 requires a pretty stout fuel system.

I would recommend a Flex fuel tune, I have it working well on my truck so I assume they could as well. It's the best of both worlds, solid power on e50 and still have the ability to run 93 when you go on trips or whatever (and not have to plan your stops around ethanol stations), and not having to flash a new tune everytime you fill up.

OP
OP
J

jrm

Reaction score
how would an e50 work? Please forgive my ignorance. What could I expect and performance estimates?

I have a stock fuel pump/fuel injectors.

noorj

Reaction score
what stage CR turbos do you have? what are you looking for out of the truck? any WHP goal?

E50 would just be filling up half pump-grade e85 and half 93 e10 fuel. This is preferred because it is less "taxing" on the fuel system than straight e85. Either one would work for you, or a flex fuel tune as it's much easier for the driver (hard to tune though). I would definitely recommend a dw400 in tank fuel pump, along with either an upgraded HPFP or larger PFI injectors

OP
OP
J

jrm

Reaction score
Thank you. I have the stage 4 turbos. I didn't really have any goals, BUT... I am going to be at MPT next week to complete the dyno tune. If I can toss another tune on there (more $) I don't have to use it. But after buying the truck on a whim, them modding it big time for overlanding and then modding it big time for speed, I'd have to lie to my wife to do the fuel pump addition and don't want to do that.

Attackpilot

Reaction score
Would fueling modifications do you have? straight E85 requires a pretty stout fuel system.

I would recommend a Flex fuel tune, I have it working well on my truck so I assume they could as well. It's the best of both worlds, solid power on e50 and still have the ability to run 93 when you go on trips or whatever (and not have to plan your stops around ethanol stations), and not having to flash a new tune everytime you fill up.
Not to hijack the post but where did you get your flex fuel tune/harness at?

noorj

Reaction score
Thank you. I have the stage 4 turbos. I didn't really have any goals, BUT... I am going to be at MPT next week to complete the dyno tune. If I can toss another tune on there (more $) I don't have to use it. But after buying the truck on a whim, them modding it big time for overlanding and then modding it big time for speed, I'd have to lie to my wife to do the fuel pump addition and don't want to do that.

Nice! Should move out pretty good with those turbos. Unfortunately you'll likely be at the limit of the fuel system (not the turbos), so you'll likely have to blend ethanol if you want to maximize power (e30 blend should get you to ballpark low to mid 500's whp with those turbos). You can also just have them tune it on 93 and splash a couple gallons of ethanol in to help octane for now, then upgrade the fuel system and turn up the boost a bit more with a full e85 or e50 blend later on.

Not to hijack the post but where did you get your flex fuel tune/harness at?

I've been tuning ecoboosts for quite a while myself using HP Tuners, enable the factory Ford logic for flex fuel that comes on the 5.0's then do a bit of changes to get it functioning as desired because the ECU code on the ecoboost's doesn't have all of the same logic/functionality as a true flex fuel 5.0L. I then sanity check the ECU's ethanol estimation with a bluetooth ethanol sensor, similar to the link below:

https://www.fuel-it.com/ford-f-150-3-5l-ecoboost-flex-fuel-kits/

Attackpilot

Reaction score
Nice! Should move out pretty good with those turbos. Unfortunately you'll likely be at the limit of the fuel system (not the turbos), so you'll likely have to blend ethanol if you want to maximize power (e30 blend should get you to ballpark low to mid 500's whp with those turbos). You can also just have them tune it on 93 and splash a couple gallons of ethanol in to help octane for now, then upgrade the fuel system and turn up the boost a bit more with a full e85 or e50 blend later on.

I've been tuning ecoboosts for quite a while myself using HP Tuners, enable the factory Ford logic for flex fuel that comes on the 5.0's then do a bit of changes to get it functioning as desired because the ECU code on the ecoboost's doesn't have all of the same logic/functionality as a true flex fuel 5.0L. I then sanity check the ECU's ethanol estimation with a bluetooth ethanol sensor, similar to the link below:

Thanks! I have been searching all over for a flex fuel kit for these. Loved the power I got from my GTR. How ever I have a Cobb and not HP tuner.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just FYI that fuel it kit wont work if you have a cobb tuner as I do. there is no analog input on the cobb to calibrate the file to make that work

noorj

Reaction score
The kit is just meant to monitor ethanol content, not adjust the tune for it. You must go through your tuner or go with HP Tuners to get flex fuel adjusting the tune,