Dual Band / Ham / 2-Way / Amateur Radio Install (and FRS/GMRS mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PS: Yesterday, I ended up "ragchewing" (that's ham-speak for "talking with" :p) with a guy down in Australia about offroading and Raptor stuffs. Was very cool to share Raptor info, and hear how they offroad down under.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few reasons:
1) I was running late for an appointment and I wanted to see the radio work
2) I had the cheapie adapter on the shelf (which I have since replaced with a sealed unit, by the way)
3) I wasn't 100% sure I was keeping this radio in this truck.

Like I said I most likely will eventually hardwire it in. But truthfully I'm more than happy with the sealed cig adapter at this point; its fused properly, is solid as a rock, its simple and its quickly removable/transferable.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still working well! The only hiccup was when my puppy decided chew the wire leading from the radio to the head unit. That had the effect of shorting out the radio so it was unusable. iComm fixed it under warranty though and when I got it back I rerouted that wire thru the center console, out of puppy range.

And the antenna mount is still solid as a rock. I occasionally check it and so far haven't even needed to tighten it.

I'm overall really happy with how this turned out.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This came up in conversation recently, so I figured I'd bump it up since I don't think the FRF crowd got to see it.

This is still working really well. I use it every time we go out.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool deal GJ! Don't hesitate to get ahold of me with any questions. Happy to help if I can.

Rat

Reaction score
Still working well! The only hiccup was when my puppy decided chew the wire leading from the radio to the head unit. out of puppy range.

And the antenna mount is still solid as a ****. I occasionally check it and so far haven't even needed to tighten it.

Did puppy crap out the wires ? Just sayin ?

Tee hee hee I f-in with ya
Good informative technical thread, Much appreciated, keep up the good work. We need some more "how to's"

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did puppy crap out the wires ? Just sayin ?

Tee hee hee I f-in with ya
Good informative technical thread, Much appreciated, keep up the good work. We need some more "how to's"

I am working on a whole series of technical write ups, Rat. Starting with a clean slate 2012, and about 20k worth of mods. :D