Drone with exhausts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score

grancuda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have Gibson ran on our 2010 6.2 and it doesn't drone but when we drive on the highway with the QTP Electric Dumps open we will get some droning so on long trips we just flip them closed.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy in that thread made a good point that drone is subjective.

I'm not looking to make trouble....

I'm really not...

Drone is not subjective. It's either present or it isn't. If it is present it is either mild, moderate or severe.

What is subjective is a person's ability to tolerate it.

Some people drive around with drone and they don't mind it, but because they don't mind it doesn't mean it isn't there.

It's a concrete, sonic phenomenon that occurs and when it is present it is measurable and has a range of frequencies.

The stock exhaust from Ford has tremendous engineering behind it to prevent drone. That is the system that has no drone because engineers with 6 figure salaries and deep research pockets with sophisticated equipment designed for it not to occur.

The FOMOCO Performance exhaust by Borla will not drone. Why? Because the same engineers who designed the STOCK exhaust, designed the Ford Performance Exhaust. Borla merely BUILDS the exhaust to Ford's design specifications.

This is not the same design that goes into the Borla S Type or ATAK. These are designed in house by Borla and while they are MUCH better than many of the other exhausts out there... they are not going to make for a perfectly quiet cabin at all speeds. The up side is you get a 3 inch exhaust vs a 2.75 inch exhaust and you get a more aggressive sound. The downside is that Borla acknowledges their in house exhaust doesn't make any more power than the FOMOCO Performance branded exhaust and both are good for 12 horsepower over stock.

Take this information with as much skepticism or validation as you deem warranted. :)

Best of luck!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed NO DRONE on CORSA Performance systems. Sounds and looks amazing, especially with resonator delete. Quality is top notch as well, as all of their products.

I just installed the Corsa muffler about a week ago and I agree that it doesn't have any drone up to 75 MPH, but when you hit 80 MPH, everything goes from whisper quiet to a permanently audible sound which I would call drone. You do not need to talk louder to have a conversation or anything like that, but the Corsa muffler is definitely emitting sound that I would not have heard with the stock exhaust. Depending on your level of sensitivity, this might be a problem for some people. I haven't driven at 80 MPH enough so far to know how I feel about it.

As for overall sound, it definitely sounds better than stock and makes a better/louder tone when accelerating, but it isn't overbearing. In my situation, it is quiet enough that my wife doesn't complain, but it has enough rumble that it makes me happy.

I reported in another thread after two days of driving that it 100% eliminated my gas pedal vibration. I am now sad to report that the gas pedal vibration is still there and not any better. Not sure why I had two glorious days without it, but it is unfortunately still there and driving me crazy!!!! I will correct the other post to accuractely reflect what is now happening.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered a borla S. Just hoping it ain't too loud that the wife gives me grief all the time and it doesn't drone so I don't regret it. I will let you know

i used a s-type on my 14 3.5eb for 40k+ miles. never even head it on the freeway with the radio on low and the ac on. a lil hum, just enough to put the kids and wife to sleep en-route to Vegas.
tap the gas and it sings at any speed though lol. even when it was coupled with an afe stage 2 dry, i needed to roll the window down to be able to hear it around town. but the ppl behind me definitely notice it lol. especially in tow mode in heavy traffic.

edit. i have migraines and extremely sensitive hearing too. the borla s-type is way quieter then the tusudo on our tl.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wizo

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I am super excited to get it for sure and I am glad to hear that. Nice to have a daily driver you can have fun with also

i used a s-type on my 14 3.5eb for 40k+ miles. never even head it on the freeway with the radio on low and the ac on. a lil hum, just enough to put the kids and wife to sleep en-route to Vegas.
tap the gas and it sings at any speed though lol. even when it was coupled with an afe stage 2 dry, i needed to roll the window down to be able to hear it around town. but the ppl behind me definitely notice it lol. especially in tow mode in heavy traffic.

edit. i have migraines and extremely sensitive hearing too. the borla s-type is way quieter then the tusudo on our tl.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the Corsa muffler about a week ago and I agree that it doesn't have any drone up to 75 MPH, but when you hit 80 MPH, everything goes from whisper quiet to a permanently audible sound which I would call drone. You do not need to talk louder to have a conversation or anything like that, but the Corsa muffler is definitely emitting sound that I would not have heard with the stock exhaust. Depending on your level of sensitivity, this might be a problem for some people. I haven't driven at 80 MPH enough so far to know how I feel about it.

As for overall sound, it definitely sounds better than stock and makes a better/louder tone when accelerating, but it isn't overbearing. In my situation, it is quiet enough that my wife doesn't complain, but it has enough rumble that it makes me happy.

I reported in another thread after two days of driving that it 100% eliminated my gas pedal vibration. I am now sad to report that the gas pedal vibration is still there and not any better. Not sure why I had two glorious days without it, but it is unfortunately still there and driving me crazy!!!! I will correct the other post to accuractely reflect what is now happening.

That's interesting...do you have the res delete or just the Sport system? I have not experienced the sound you are referring to at higher speeds, and I drive interstates to work every day. The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like drone though - since it is not inducing harmonic resonance and making everything in the cabin vibrate.

It sucks that your vibrating pedal is back though, that's such a bizarre issue. I don't know all of the details of what you've done so far, but have you looked up under the pedals to see if they are rubbing against something? Or maybe play around with the pedal position button to see if a different position helps with the issue?

Good luck and congrats on your new exhaust!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting...do you have the res delete or just the Sport system? I have not experienced the sound you are referring to at higher speeds, and I drive interstates to work every day. The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like drone though - since it is not inducing harmonic resonance and making everything in the cabin vibrate.

It sucks that your vibrating pedal is back though, that's such a bizarre issue. I don't know all of the details of what you've done so far, but have you looked up under the pedals to see if they are rubbing against something? Or maybe play around with the pedal position button to see if a different position helps with the issue?

Good luck and congrats on your new exhaust!

Thanks for the response. I do not have the resonator delete; I just have the sport muffler. As for whether or not it is officially drone, I can't say because the definition of drone isn't completely clear to me. I am not getting harmonic resonance that is making everything in the cabin vibrate, but the exhaust system does go from completely quiet at 75 MPH to a constantly audible noise at 80. It isn't bad or overly loud, but you do hear a constant tone like you hear when you put the exhaust from a no load situation to a light load.

I have tried everything to get rid of the gas pedal vibration and I won't stop trying until it goes away. It makes a very nice truck feel cheap and it drives me nuts!!!!!! My latest test was installing thick rubber washers under the three bolts last night. I haven't tested this fix, but based on previous experience, I am not optimistic.