Door Seals - Is This Normal (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beach_Bum

Reaction score
I've been chasing moisture in the rear cab for a while now. I've flushed out the sunroof drains and re-gasketed the 3rd brake light. I thought I had solved the issue by doing that, but the other day, after an overnight rain, I opened the back door to find condensation on the rear rubber mat.

I noticed that when I opened the rear doors, there was water on the top edge of the door frame and on the door gasket (see pics). I opened the front doors and didn't notice any water on them, so I'm wondering if this is normal? Or are my rear door gaskets in need of replacement?

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
It isn't normal to have any water accumulated on the floor mat and that much water on the inside of the door. Either the door isn't closing properly or the seal has been compromised.

OP
OP
B

Beach_Bum

Reaction score
It isn't normal to have any water accumulated on the floor mat and that much water on the inside of the door. Either the door isn't closing properly or the seal has been compromised.

Thanks. Yeah, all the doors appear to be closing properly as there are no irregular gaps around them. I'm wondering if it's the upper seal that has failed, but I can't find anything to indicate that it has.

Is water supposed to drain around the seals as indicated in the pic below? If not, where does the water come from that is released from the built in door drains?

IMG_6415.JPG

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is obvious to me that you maintain the doors and door jams very well so I doubt the seals are the issue. That said, you can tighten the seal by running surgical tubing through the center of the door seals.

brink

Reaction score
Trying cleaning all the mating surfaces and then rub a very thin layer of silicone grease or similar on the rubber to help it seal tightly.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your best bet is to get in there and have someone run the garden hose .. dont spray it directly in the gap but rather run it over the roofline where it will cascade down the door/window..

im guessing it its pooling on top of the main seal and then you open the door and it falls inside..maybe try parking a little less level front to back and also make sure the main seal is pushed all the way up in the top middle area..

it is an engineered gutter system in the door jamb, so that main seal is important

OP
OP
B

Beach_Bum

Reaction score
It is obvious to me that you maintain the doors and door jams very well so I doubt the seals are the issue. That said, you can tighten the seal by running surgical tubing through the center of the door seals.

Thanks. I just replaced the upper seal on the driver side yesterday and today we got a good rain. Unfortunately, when I opened the door, there is still a little water getting onto the lower seal at the rear door. I think I'll try the surgical tubing trick to tighten the seal, as mentioned.

Other than that is there a way to adjust the door catch/alignment?