Does this look normal to you guys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
X
Reaction score
It does it in drive and reverse, but if I lightly ease into it I hear nothing. To me it seems like the sudden weigh being shifted into the rear or the truck when pulling away is making the sound, which is why I'm thinking springs. Tomorrow I'm going to take a better look at everything

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my previous truck and it did wind up being the springs. The way I figured it out was I jacked the truck up enough to get the springs to spread a little and lubed them up. As soon as I did that it stopped so I knew that's what the problem was. Only thing that sucked was after a few times of getting wet it would come back.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It does it in drive and reverse, but if I lightly ease into it I hear nothing. To me it seems like the sudden weigh being shifted into the rear or the truck when pulling away is making the sound, which is why I'm thinking springs. Tomorrow I'm going to take a better look at everything

Let us know what you find, xjohnnyxcrunkx. If it's still making the noise today, I'd recommend getting your dealer a call. I know they'll want to make sure you're loving your new rig. Keep us in the loop; I'll be here if you need any additional help.

Crystal

OP
OP
X
Reaction score
From doing some more reading I'm now thinking it's the driveshaft slip yoke, i found videos online of the noise the slip yoke makes and it sounds the exact same. I'm gonna go to the dealer and get some XG-8 lubricant and see if that fixes it

OP
OP
X
Reaction score
Let us know what you find, xjohnnyxcrunkx. If it's still making the noise today, I'd recommend getting your dealer a call. I know they'll want to make sure you're loving your new rig. Keep us in the loop; I'll be here if you need any additional help.

Crystal

Well I pulled the driveshaft and greased the slip yoke splines and that solved the problem, no more noise and a less jerky launch, although I hear this may only be a temporary fix. Also once I slide the shaft out of the transfer case I had a little bit of tranny fluid come out, maybe a quarter cup. Does that mean there's a seal gone or is it normal to have some fluid in there?

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Does that mean there's a seal gone or is it normal to have some fluid in there?

Hi xjohnnyxcrunkx,

I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not the best resource for technical questions. Since you're concerned, I'd suggest reaching out to the service manager at your local dealership; I know they'll be happy to help.

Crystal