Do my shocks need to be rebuilt?..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirk Heppler

Reaction score
Hey everybody!!

So, I’m beginning to think I may need to have my stock shocks rebuilt on my gen 2. I recently added Eibach springs up front, Icons are on their way for the rear. Truck currently sits on 37” Ko2’s with 17” Methods. Pretty stoked on these modest upgrades thus far. However, I’ve recently noticed that the rides been a little rough. For example, if I hit a large speed bump cruising at around 25mph, the shock compresses then releases fairly hard. Theres almost a “duh-dunk” sound, it’s not very smooth at all. Doesn’t really seem to absorb bumps the way it did not long ago. The trucks got 63k miles on it, so I’m assuming that’s the problem.

I have a couple options and I’m pretty sure I already know what most are going to suggest lol. Rebuild my shocks or upgrade to 3.0’s. I know, I know, go big or go home, right? Well, one costs $900 and the other is about 6x that. There’s a company based out of Texas that sends you rebuilt shocks for $200/piece, you just send your old ones back after they’re swapped. Pretty cool I think.

I’m looking for advice/suggestions on my shock situation. Does it sound like the shocks are shot? Is there a better way of determining so without breaking them down? If I were to upgrade instead of rebuilding, any recommendations on favorite aftermarket shocks?Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!!:rockit:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the 37" tires, but they are a lot heavier than 35", so the rebound will be different, I would just rebuild your stock shocks or replace them, not always necessary to go bigger, it can be a deep hole to go into, lol. You will notice a big difference when you get your rear springs in as well. Good luck.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offroad much or otherwise use the shock travel a lot? Any visible leaks? I don’t think the mileage estimates for rebuilding applies to everyone as use varies greatly. That said, a rebuild is definitely recommended when in doubt.

It sounds like what you describe is rebound damping, or more accurately lack thereof. One of the biggest advantages of an aftermarket shock, is generally you can adjust rebound and compression for conditions or mods (like, say, heavier tires). But not entirely necessary if stock worked for you, as they damn sure are expensive. And add to that, if you’re hearing it there’s a chance there’s a different issue like balljoints contributing or instead, so at the least check those too. Good luck!

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that a ride height adjustment/recalibration may be needed because of the Eibachs? I've read about that on the forum, but I've never done it (I also have Eibachs). From what I understand about the process, your shocks are currently extended more when driving around compared to normal, so the computer thinks the tires have drooped, so it's adjusting for that. By recalibrating, you're essentially resetting the normal ride height so that the computer now knows what is "normal".

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Is it possible that a ride height adjustment/recalibration may be needed because of the Eibachs? I've read about that on the forum, but I've never done it (I also have Eibachs). From what I understand about the process, your shocks are currently extended more when driving around compared to normal, so the computer thinks the tires have drooped, so it's adjusting for that. By recalibrating, you're essentially resetting the normal ride height so that the computer now knows what is "normal".

Absolutely, you need to have your front live valve shocks recalibrated by the Dealer which may not understand or have ever done this process before.

If not, edumacate them.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check into a rebuild at that mileage. Depending on your usage of your truck would determine if you "need" larger shocks. They are very expensive and seems like a bit of a fashion upgrade unless you are getting after it with your truck on a regular basis.

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!!

So, I’m beginning to think I may need to have my stock shocks rebuilt on my gen 2. I recently added Eibach springs up front, Icons are on their way for the rear. Truck currently sits on 37” Ko2’s with 17” Methods. Pretty stoked on these modest upgrades thus far. However, I’ve recently noticed that the rides been a little rough. For example, if I hit a large speed bump cruising at around 25mph, the shock compresses then releases fairly hard. Theres almost a “duh-dunk” sound, it’s not very smooth at all. Doesn’t really seem to absorb bumps the way it did not long ago. The trucks got 63k miles on it, so I’m assuming that’s the problem.

I have a couple options and I’m pretty sure I already know what most are going to suggest lol. Rebuild my shocks or upgrade to 3.0’s. I know, I know, go big or go home, right? Well, one costs $900 and the other is about 6x that. There’s a company based out of Texas that sends you rebuilt shocks for $200/piece, you just send your old ones back after they’re swapped. Pretty cool I think.

I’m looking for advice/suggestions on my shock situation. Does it sound like the shocks are shot? Is there a better way of determining so without breaking them down? If I were to upgrade instead of rebuilding, any recommendations on favorite aftermarket shocks?Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!!:rockit:
Agreed, think you need to replace. I went with the company in Texas I believe you’re referring to (Texas Shock Works) and couldn’t be happier. Fantastic service and high quality refurbishment. Highly recommended