DIY truck wrap with matte black vinyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
menerso

menerso

2019 Raptor SCREW
Reaction score
I looked into the matte clear film, but I went with the 3M 1080 vinyl film because of the ability to remove and re-apply and the quality of the product. Plus, our PR firm does work for 3M and their 1080 product so I got to see the comparisons and in my opinion, it blew away all other films.

I did see someone on this forum had had their truck done with the matte clear and it looked good... so I guess it is more of a personal preference.

I am going out now to remove my emblems to get ready for the next wrapping session.

marty

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Well I'll be honest at the beginning of this thread I thought you would start, screw it up, waste the money you spent on the vinyl, and then take it to a professional. But good job, you've done better than I would have so far.

What!!! No faith? I am not done yet... it could still happen. :shocked:

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, you rock! . I've been pondering doing this myself after my local wrap shop has potentially backed out of a deal we had to trade work for work. But material has already been ordered. And I just now found this thread so now at least I don't think I am totally insane for trying to do this myself! I'll probably be bugging you if I end up doing this

OP
OP
menerso

menerso

2019 Raptor SCREW
Reaction score
WSI, let me know any questions, I am here to help. :peace:

I wrapped my tailgate today. It took about just under two hours. I found out you really want to go from the inside out when squeeqe'ing. i ended up getting bunched up in the middle, but all I had to do was pull up the wrap and re-squeegee.

I am thinking about not putting the F150 emblem back on and putting the Raptor emblem in its place. Since the F150 emblem uses clips, i have to cover the holes.

What do you guys think of the location?
tailgatewrapped.jpg

Also, to remove the tailgate handle just remove the cover on the inside of the tailgate and then there are two nuts to remove it.
tailgatehandle.jpg

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No emblem! Looks great. Congrats. You just gave yourself a new job skill too. Keep the thread going.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Nice job on the tail-gate. You do good work, there's probably the potential to make a little bit of extra cash wrapping vehicles after you get done with yours.