Dilemma regarding hold placed on OEM beadlock capable wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
seems like a lot of people agree that the stock wheels are not great.
doesnt Ford market test these thing first???

do you think its likely that new wheel options will be avail on the 2018 models?

msmatt329

Reaction score
Tempering or "aging" aluminum happens at around 400deg the same temp range as powder coating I believe. Annealing or softening accures at a much higher temp. Shops wouldn't take the liability of PC rims otherwise.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine powder coated on my 2012. Looked good and held up fine. Probably put approx 10k miles on them with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All i will say is 10k miles isn't much of a durability test. I also cant get past your screen name. Ha

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tempering or "aging" aluminum happens at around 400deg the same temp range as powder coating I believe. Annealing or softening accures at a much higher temp. Shops wouldn't take the liability of PC rims otherwise.

Some are tempered as low as 325. A356-T6 for example. There's no way to know the wheel will NOT be weakened without actual testing. As far as liability, the PC shops know it's nearly impossible to prove they weakened your wheel metallurgicaly and therefore the chances of a lawsuit are nil.

Again, why not paint it? No issues at all and just as durable. OEMs paint their wheels. Everyone thinks PC is so damn tough, but I just don't see it. I've seen it chip and peel just as much as any paint, if not moreso. Lots of aftermarket bumpers with peeling PC and rust all over it. Stock painted bumpers? They look just fine.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a text from my dealer 5 min ago

" Do you have to have beadlocks, if so it will be awhile longer before you get a build date if not they can start building your raptor"

Great............

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been in contact with my rep yesterday and today about our last 2 allocation and when they'll get scheduled. Both want bead locks and one also has CF. Both units are delayed getting scheduled due to that.

Last edited:

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the basic wheels look! Why not put $1000(or whatever the price is) into a aftermarket set. May have to spend a little more but I bet it would look better and it would put a more personal touch on it.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a set of 2014 raptor bead locks taking up space in the garage I got for a good deal from some kid that put 22s on his raptor-- but my plan was to put 35 12.50 17 BFG muds on them for wheeling trips and my deer/elk hunting trips. If the regular wheels would have been solid grey/gunmetal I might not have paid the $1150 for the upgrade. Dealer said they a decision or they will skip mine. Glad I didn't order the carbon fiber also or it might become a 2018 order at this rate. Oh well, on the positive side that's a good chunk towards a front bumper.

Stupid question maybe to early to tell but to someone more knowledgeable about this than me - will the TPMS from the 2017 wheels fit on the 2014 bead lock wheels?

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a text from my dealer 5 min ago

" Do you have to have beadlocks, if so it will be awhile longer before you get a build date if not they can start building your raptor"

Great............

Bummer. I've got the bead locks on my order and haven't been pulled yet. I'm going to be visiting my dealer (out of state) over MLK weekend and will try to figure out if dropping the optional wheels will get my order moving. Ordered 9/15 and nothing happening for my order yet. Good luck!!