Debate about bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Airbags are NOT affected.

Airbags are not effected as accelerometers are what determine airbag deployment and those are not in the bumpers.

As a person who's worked in crash safety development for nearly 20 years, I must somewhat disagree with these statements for a few reasons.

It's true that "crash sensors" do use accelerometers that measure the rate at which a vehicle decelerates to determine whether or not to deploy the airbags, but the entire dynamic event of a crash/collision is a little more complicated. Acceleration/deceleration is measured in distance/time^2. The time part of the equation is key and is why the frame crumple zones are important; the crumple zones are designed to reduce the rate at which a vehicle decelerates during a collision. Additionally, the crumple zones are designed to absorb the energy of the impact so it's not transferred to the rest of the vehicle, and most importantly, the occupants. Air bag deployment timing, the amount of energy to be absorbed by crumple zones, and the size/shape and speed at which airbags deploy are something that auto manufacturers spend millions of dollars on every year. Mess with any one of those items and the entire occupant protection equation is out the window.

Additionally, modern multi-stage deployment airbags, OCS (occupant classification systems) installed in vehicle seats, seat belt and seat belt buckle pretensioners, collapsible steering colums and steering shafts (deigned to stroke and eventually break), and timed duration crash sensors all play into the "crash pulse" and exactly how the airbags are fired... they don't just go BOOM like they did 20 years ago.

With all that said, it goes without a doubt that most of the prerunner bumpers are stronger than the stock bumper. They're going to hold up to offroad abuse tremendously better and the same can be said for minor vehicle collisions where the airbags don't deploy. The severe collisions where airbags deploy to save your life are where we get into the unknown in regard to frame-cut prerunner bumpers because there's been no testing done. As mentioned, a large amount of data is processed essentially in an instant to determine airbag deployment. You can read this and think that a little change in timing input to the crash pulse from cutting your frame horns may not make a big difference, but keep in mind that lethal portion of a severe car accident occurs in approximately 300 milliseconds which is approximately the same amount of time it takes for a human to blink an eye. A little change to the crash pulse is huge when it has affect on an airbag moving at your face at over 200 mph.

NOTE: Someone said that airbags will deploy if crash sensor wires are cut. This is not true, but I don't recommend ever cutting crash sensor wires. All connectors for all automotive pyrotechnic devices (i.e. airbags, pretensioners, air curtains, etc.) are equipped with a shorting bar on the module side of the electrical connector. When you disconnect your airbag wire harness connector, a shorting bar instantly shorts the pins to the device to prevent any stray potential difference (voltage) from deploying the module.

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well reading the above post just thew me for a loop.

And take if from someone who has been hit by the original air bags it is not something worth repeating. It knocked me out cold for a few seconds, gave me a minor concussion and looked like someone had taken sand paper and rubbed it on my face from where the impact was. And this was at a 15mph max accident where a small pole just cracked the bumper enough on a prelude my friend was driving.

OP
OP
bakkbakk

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a person who's worked in crash safety development for nearly 20 years

Additionally, modern multi-stage deployment airbags, OCS (occupant classification systems) installed in vehicle seats, seat belt and seat belt buckle pretensioners, collapsible steering colums and steering shafts (deigned to stroke and eventually break), and timed duration crash sensors all play into the "crash pulse" and exactly how the airbags are fired... they don't just go BOOM like they did 20 years ago.

Thanks for the long response. So what if these horns were welded back on down the road? One person already said he was told a no go for cutting the horns and taking it back to the dealership.

And also. If i returned to stock, is this something i have to disclose to the dealer?

Last edited:

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can get sued for any modification to your vehicle if an attorney thinks it contributed to the other party's injuries. It's a very expensive case to put together and prove, but if you mess someone up real bad, have fun in court.

Don't hit shit and you'll be fine.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the long response. So what if these horns were welded back on down the road? One person already said he was told a no go for cutting the horns and taking it back to the dealership.
The frame rails on our truck are hydroformed, not that it really matters. Either way, the variability in weld method and quality will be all over the map. No doubt strength would be lost if they're butt welded back on which is what I assume most people would do. Even a professional welder performing text book welds won't be able to restore the factory crash worthiness integrity as the truck was delivered from the factory.

bakkbakk said:
And also. If i returned to stock, is this something i have to disclose to the dealer?
This probably gets into the legal side of things, so I really don't know.

D

Deleted member 12951

Stupid question most likely but what is considered the frame horns? Is the entire piece that you can see welded to the front of the body frame or the wings that the bumper bolts into? I think I bent mine because a replacement factory bumper would not line up.

I am with the OP. I would rather not cut anything as I would like to put the factory bumper back on if I ever sell it. I will never get close if trading it in and would rather remove my mods that I could sell at a used discount to the raptor community that would appreciate it more.

ysysa8us.jpg

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
watch this video >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AojEi7RWo

Stupid question most likely but what is considered the frame horns? Is the entire piece that you can see welded to the front of the body frame or the wings that the bumper bolts into? I think I bent mine because a replacement factory bumper would not line up.

I am with the OP. I would rather not cut anything as I would like to put the factory bumper back on if I ever sell it. I will never get close if trading it in and would rather remove my mods that I could sell at a used discount to the raptor community that would appreciate it more.

ysysa8us.jpg

customtruckshop

LGE-CTS Motorsports
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our bumpers are 100% bolt on and do not require you to cut the frame horns at all!

You'll get that aftermarket look without cutting the frame, and if you wanted to, just bolt it off and swap it for the stock one again if you decide to sell or whatever.

Link: Exterior : Baja Raptor Front Bumper | LGE*CTS Motorsports home of L&G Enterprises and Custom Truck Shop
Some pics of out bumper:
raptor-front4.jpg

c189a7b43b2e3157efd28abe4bdb409f~Side%20Bars%20(Theresa%20Raptor1).jpg

5c187b3c61de6d14b9a05370140a8025~Front%20Bumper%20(Theresa%20Raptor9).jpg