GEN 2 Cracked Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a chip in my windshield on my 2019 at 3000 miles - safelight said it was non fixable. I called my local Ford dealer and the shop guy recommended the installer they use - he said they don't actually fix windshields in house. He said I would save a few bucks going directly to their installer. The place they use had been doing it for them for 25+ years so I went with them over Safelight just because of his recommendation. They did use OEM windshield and matched the original part number - it did not require any further installation - they came to my house and did the whole thing in 1 hour! It was roughly $650.

Safelite said they couldn't fix the chip, or couldn't replace the windshield? I'm not really looking to have the chip "fixed", since all that really involves is filling the chip with resin so that it won't crack further. But the chip would still be just as visible as before, which is right in my line of vision.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safelite in my area will not replace with OEM even if the insurance company will cover the cost. But I've read on here that other Safelite`s do so I would confirm this when you schedule.

I ended up being referred to a local shop which could order the OEM windshield and install.

I don't have windshield wiper deicers on my truck but I do have another vehicle that has the entire windshield with the defroster built in. I had it replaced without any issues.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Just_in_time

Reaction score
Safelight said the chip was too close to the edge and was unfixable. They didn’t really try to sell me on buying a new windshield from them - which I thought was odd...

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would NOT use safelite for this type of replacement. I would take it to a Ford Dealer, have OEM glass and proper fitment done by Ford. They will subcontract it to someone but in my experience its better choice than safelite.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would NOT use safelite for this type of replacement. I would take it to a Ford Dealer, have OEM glass and proper fitment done by Ford. They will subcontract it to someone but in my experience its better choice than safelite.

Interesting! What is your experience with Safelite that leads you to give that advice?

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any competent glass shop should be able to install a windshield. I'm not sure why a dealership would be preferred over a shop that specializes in automotive glass.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used safelight 3 times. Once on my kids mustang and 2 times on my kids Audi

The windshield on the Audi didn’t quite cover the bottom of the dash on the first replacement. The mirror came off a week later and they came out to replace it again as the mirror mount could not be fixed. The second windshield had the same gap at the bottom of the glass by the dash. Safelight simply said that’s the part and left. Glass was chipped again and took it to Audi and it was perfect. I have glass coverage so it was only $50. I used safelight as hey came to the house. Hindsight should have just taken it to Audi and dealt with the all day wait.

For the mustang, made an appointment and they never showed. It was a chip so we took it to a local place. Paid $30 cash where safelight was going to charge $150.

Never going to use them again.

I believe they are a franchise based model so your mileage may vary on their level of service.

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replace the windshield on 802A with camera and lane assist you need to have the camera recalibrated. I believe Safelite is the best choice.

With my 2015 Platinum I had it replaced by another company then had to take it to Ford for recalibration.
Late response safeLite use
Oem glass if requested and they calibrate
On site. No need to go to the dealer