Couple Initial Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jz1

Reaction score
Pay another $10k for a world class V8? For what would an extra $10k be paying for exactly? The truck has an all new twin turbo V6... The previous 6.2 V8 wasn't up to your specifications? Don't get me wrong here, I would have preferred a V8 option but from what I hear this new motor does a great job.

I'm currently awaiting for my truck to be built so I have only experienced a short test drive but I would not be willing to pay another $10k for a more simplified motor. I would have kept my 2014 Raptor for that.

The Tundra has a world class V8...Maybe try that out.

Glad to see u respect the opinions of others. Maybe they could offer a lower end motor option for guys like you that were ok with the 3.5. I'm talking something with like 600/600 hp/trq. It's not that I don't like the truck. Think it's great. I just look at the cars out there for 70k and think they could do better. I would be a buyer.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see u respect the opinions of others. Maybe they could offer a lower end motor option for guys like you that were ok with the 3.5. I'm talking something with like 600/600 hp/trq. It's not that I don't like the truck. Think it's great. I just look at the cars out there for 70k and think they could do better. I would be a buyer.

Agree that more engine options would be fantastic.

In your opinion, do you find the power lacking on or off road?

OP
OP
J

jz1

Reaction score
Agree that more engine options would be fantastic.

In your opinion, do you find the power lacking on or off road?

Only had it 2 days but I don't really think it's lacking per se. Just the sound of the motor and nature of delivery. Plus would I like some more instant trq? Yes. I didn't say it was bad. Just underwhelming given the price.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only had it 2 days but I don't really think it's lacking per se. Just the sound of the motor and nature of delivery. Plus would I like some more instant trq? Yes. I didn't say it was bad. Just underwhelming given the price.

Interesting to hear this very non bias opinion from the current GEN2 owner, I get it.......
But at the same time, these are taboo thoughts when it comes to GEN2. You bit into Adam's apple. lol
You are hurting a lot of feeling on the GEN2 forum. If you run into a Jenny at Starbucks you will get bitch slapped. GEN1 guys are loving every second of it. I know I do. NO complaints with my '13. CAI, Corsa Extreme, SVC V4 Tune, and of course PC, this things got wings ....and a mean sound. lol

Last edited:

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Have you tried Sport Mode yet?

Raptize

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Guys like me? Apparently you are one of "those guys" since you did buy the truck lol. I try to consider all opinions so I agree with you that there should be an option to choose a V8. Not sure it's worth an additional $10k but who am I to decide a price point.

600 hp 600 lb/tq would be awesome from a big V8.

Either way I appreciate you sharing your initial thoughts on your new truck and congratulations to you sir. Maybe as the miles add up it will become more enjoyable. Regardless, I look forward to reading your next post.

OP
OP
J

jz1

Reaction score
Few things to add. First, while my dealer was nice enough to deliver the truck with a full tank of gas, I suspect they cheaped out and put regular 89 octane in. I filled up today with 93 and response/power seem better. I will say the motor is pretty incredible for a 3.5L powerplant. It does great when taken in that context. I really like the truck so far so don't take my comments too much out of context. To put things in perspective I had a 2015 Z06 for a while and I drive a yukon denali with the 6.2L 8 and while I think this 3.5 has more power than the 6.2 (not rated much higher hp but tq. of the boosted motor is higher), the sound and delivery on the V8 is probably a little more appealing. That said, I wouldn't swap the 3.5 for that motor or the "Tundra's world class V8" as someone suggested. I just suspect they could have done a little better probably not with much incremental cost. It's a great truck though. Really love the way it drives/rides and it is definitely quick.

Surfrider

Reaction score
I would imagine the longer travel braking is intentional. You don't want sensitive brakes when dune bashing / desert running. You are bounced around quite a bit and a sensitive pedal would be an annoyance and result in too much braking when not intended.