Conventional Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck doesn’t have push-button start (which I prefer), so the key is part of the fob.

Can I get a standard key made, without the fob?

I ask because I keep a split key ring. One end has/had my tractor, mustang, and truck key. The other end has house, shop etc. That way, I could leave an engine running while I went into the house/shop etc. I understand that Forscan will let you do a secure-idle mode where it can’t be put into gear without the fob in the car. If I move the fob/key to the house half of the key ring, and use a standard key in the ignition, I could make use of that security feature.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it wont do you any good. there is a transponder in there that is coded to your truck. a plain key wont have that so it will be good for manually locking and unlocking the doors only

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it wont do you any good. there is a transponder in there that is coded to your truck. a plain key wont have that so it will be good for manually locking and unlocking the doors only

I would still have the fob on the keychain, it would just be on the section I could pull off to open my shop or house, while the truck stays running.

I get that the truck won’t start without the fob nearby, but it should stay running, right?