Confused with lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’m new to this so gonna ask some questions that I haven’t seen answered elsewhere looking through the threads.

I’d like to add some lights to my truck when it comes in. Grille lights, upgraded fog lights (I’ve heard they’re not too hot stock), maybe even a bumper at some point from ADD, something like that, and there are a million options.

To add to my noob bewilderment, I see some are street legal, some aren’t, some go through the fog light switch, some go through Aux switches, the there are white and amber lights and then spot, fogs, driving lights… wow!

I admittedly won’t go off road too much because there’s not many places near me but I’ll be bringing it on beaches and using it for work around the yard, etc, but I like the look of some cool lights too.

If someone could shed some light, ha!, on what kind of light does what, and what I should be looking for I’d appreciate it! All I can see from my reading is squadrons seem popular lol.

Should I be starting with upgrading the fogs or installing grille lights? Any help again is appreciated. Thanks!

If you want something street legal, go with the Diode Dynamics lights. They have the best street legal output. Not as high quality in terms of the housings as Baja Designs, but if you're not going off-roading, they are great. We have a complete kit here:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...off-road-brackets-for-2021-ford-f-150-raptor/

For the lower grill, we manufacture a lower grill kit:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-lower-grill-light-bar-kit-for-2017-ford-f-150-raptor/

You'll want a reverse kit also:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-s2-reverse-light-kit-for-2017-ford-f-150-raptor/

The nice part about our Fog Kits + Lower Grill Kit is we manufacture the brackets out of stainless steel right here on Long Island, NY. We also powder coat them and give you a lifetime warranty.

Here's what the triple fog kit looks like (with some Baja Designs, but you get the idea) along with the lower 10" kit

Raptor4.jpg

So i'd start with the Fogs + Reverse Kit. Those are the most useable kits you'll get your moneys worth out of.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Raptormts thanks. ordered the crimper you suggested and I have used those watertight connectors for some cords I have outside. good idea to use for this light install. my lights should arrive next week and hopefully my truck is home next week

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want something street legal, go with the Diode Dynamics lights. They have the best street legal output. Not as high quality in terms of the housings as Baja Designs, but if you're not going off-roading, they are great. We have a complete kit here:
Curious what you are basing this opinion on? Looking at Diode SS3s and Baja Squadrons they physically are not that different. Do you get more returns with the SS3s? The performance on the SS3 is definitely better.

OP
OP
tonyp

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after going through all this a million times I’m pretty certain I want to keep it SAE. I know that I’m missing out without having something like a squadron pro, but I want to be able to use what I put in and around here that’s gonna have to be SAEs.

I’d like 3/side and I’ve narrowed down to Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Fog SAE Amber…. And that’s it.

Trouble finding SAE in what I’d like, which would be a white cornering/flood SAE, ideally a Pro-type level, and a white combo SAE, again a pro-type.

Anybody know if these exist? I know DD has a sport-level white driving light, but again I’m looking for a combo and ideally something more powerful.

As far as a cornering SAE, I’m not seeing anything.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Thinking if can’t find these, maybe just keep what comes on the truck and throw an amber cover on one of them.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after going through all this a million times I’m pretty certain I want to keep it SAE. I know that I’m missing out without having something like a squadron pro, but I want to be able to use what I put in and around here that’s gonna have to be SAEs.

I’d like 3/side and I’ve narrowed down to Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Fog SAE Amber…. And that’s it.

Trouble finding SAE in what I’d like, which would be a white cornering/flood SAE, ideally a Pro-type level, and a white combo SAE, again a pro-type.

Anybody know if these exist? I know DD has a sport-level white driving light, but again I’m looking for a combo and ideally something more powerful.

Thinking if can’t find these, maybe just keep what comes on the truck and throw an amber cover on one of them.
The DD Pro Drivers are SAE if you get them in white, but I don’t think the combo or spot is and I don’t think they offer a cornering light.

OP
OP
tonyp

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Ok their website now and it’s looking like that’s right.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Well, first.. I want to thank everyone for all the comments. I can see from the vast amount of replies to the post that all of you really liked our kits and harness system that makes everything just about as plug n play as possible.

So Tony,

You have several options when it comes to fog lights here and we try to give you all the options. There are several out there that sell similar products, but we are very careful to be sure we have the highest quality and the most options for the best overall options available. That starts in part with our triple fog mounts which we spent a lot of time on to be sure you get the best fitment and adjustment possible. This includes spacing between the lights. Position within the pocket so that no light is blocked. Then adjustment and position for several lights and models. This is because it is one thing to make a universal mount for Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics as well as others... It's another thing to be sure they are ALL positionable in the most precise way possible using the same bracket.

So we did just that. We positioned them all and them marked each location. Then we devised the slots and cross slots to allow you to position each in their individual best locations. Then we went a step further and created a template with marks for each brand so you can simply lay it on your bracket for the lights you have. Mark it and simply bolt them in right there in the bracket. They are already positioned and already lined up before you even install them in the truck! No other company offers a bracket like this with a template for an easy install.

Then comes our harness system. Which is manufactured to the highest standards and works with any light kit. Each end includes the weather pack connectors. On the switch ends, we have single connectors and provide you with matching connectors to install on your switch wires. This makes them plug n play to your switch wires. Why is this important? The old way of doing this was to permanently crimp the wires together. The issue is, if you ever decided to move them to another switch. Say you got a light bar and wanted to put it on one that a fog was on. Or say you decided to combine 2 or 3 pairs onto one switch. You could simply unplug and move them, or plug in a 3 or 2 way splitter and combine them. It doesn't take tools.
Then, lets look at the ends that go to the lights. There are 3 pin connectors. We then provide an adapter that plugs into that end and a matching connector to any brand light you have. Why is this important? If a new light model or brand comes out. You will never need to replace the harness. You just swap the adapter. You are future proof. Our harness system also has adapters and connectors to access factory connections like marker lights and reverse triggers. It's so unique we have a Patent filed for it. You won't find anything else like it.

So, all that said... and you had some great responses here! I would say it comes down to what you want. So I will list a few options here and then my opinion. Just keep in mind, It is important to me that you get what YOU want, so my opinion is just that. You can go that route, or the way you feel is better for you.

So, lets start with the more basic and least expensive and then go up from there.

We developed a fog UPGRADE kit for the OEM housings that came with the 801A package. While the OEM lights that come with that are not very useful or bright... Many really like that OEM housing and look. So we created mounts that will allow you to replace the 2 Rigid Style SR-M lights (As mentioned above, the SR-M's Ford had produced look the same in the front, but are a different case behind and won't mount anywhere else).
So you can simply replace ONE pair (since the 2 pairs are the same low power SAE) with the Rigid Pro Driving, Spot or Flood with our kit, or both. Some though just replace the one pair and keep the SAE pair on the fog switch. We have plug n play adapters with the kit.

So here is a video on the Rigid OEM upgrade. As you see, from the front, they look the same. (These videos also show side by side comparisons with the OEM lights)

And here is a link to them on our site. As you see, you can select one or 2 pairs.

From there, we also have a kit, as we made these brackets to work with Baja S2's and Diode Dynamics. So here is a video and link on the Baja S2's.

Here is the link on the site. (You can get sport or pro. The Pro was in the video)

And last the Diode Dynamics. Now to be fair, the ones in this video were both sport and both the same pattern. So in comparison to the other 2, it wasn't quite fair. In all, the Pro Diode in the same patterns would be closer to what you saw in the Baja video above. However, you get that amber backlight.

And the site link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So those are the OEM upgrade options. From there, we have the triple fog kits. You can get Rigid D-Series/Radiance/Scene, Baja Designs, or Diode Dynamics.

Rigid has ONLY what they call their "Pro" version. Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics have 2 power levels. Sport and Pro.

So in comparison, lets look at the lumen count on each light (this is per light, not per pair... and also, this includes the specs of the smaller lights listed in the above kits)

Baja Designs-
S2 Sport (These are in the OEM Kit above) - 1,130 lumens
S2 Pro (These are in the OEM Kit above) - 2,450 lumens

Squadron Sport - 3,150 Lumens
Squadron Pro - 4,600 lumens
Squadron SAE (Street Legal) - 2,480 lumens

Rigid Industries-
SRM Pro (These are in the OEM Kit above)- (Spot/Flood - 1584) (Driving - 2376)

D-Series Pro (Spot, Flood) - 3,168
D-Series Pro (Driving - has 2 more LED's) - 4,752
D-Series SAE - 1,760

Diode Dynamics- (The Diode rates their SAE the same... Don't know how. They must have a loophole)
SSC2 Sport (These are in the OEM Kit above) - 1,130 raw lumens
SSC2 Pro (These are in the OEM Kit above) - 2,898 raw lumens

SS3 Sport - 2,262 raw lumens
SS3 Pro - 5,796 raw lumens

So those are the light output ratings... and I am sure each company inflates their numbers to a point. However, you really cant go wrong with any of them..

Now, here are links the the 3 Pair fog kits-

Rigid D-Series-

Rigid Radiance/Scene Series-

Baja Designs (Sport and Pro Series - Pick from the drop down)

Diode Dynamics-

Now hopefully you looked through the pictures with each of those links... but here is a photo of each-

So, no matter what the best position is, you are still limited to what you have to work with. That said, the first pic is the Baja Designs. The fit extremely clean and are unobstructed by the bumper.

The second picture are the Rigid D-Series. These also are tight, but fit well and don't have any obstruction.

The third photo is the Diode Dynamics. As you see, though we can raise them a bit. The overall cases are LARGER than the Rigid and the Baja and don't quite fit in that space as clean as the Rigid and the Baja. That is an early photo and there is a little adjustment that we did and set up with the template, but you can't make them smaller..

44_360x.jpg

31_360x.jpg

40_360x.jpg

So all in all, based on what you said, and my personal opinion... I would suggest this...

If you want the simple upgrade, you can do one of the 3 at the top. Any of them are a good option, though if you want an SAE light, you can just do the ONE Rigid SRM driving Pair and keep the one SAE pair.

If you want a triple kit, and you want SAE lights... I would personally stick to the Rigid or the Baja as they fit and look the best in there.
In addition, you really want to diversify. You don't want 3 SAE lights. You would want a spread so you have some variety.

The most popular combos for Rigid are - Driving, Spot, SAE or Flood, Spot, SAE.... You can select those combos in the links above in the drop downs.

The most popular combos for Baja Designs are - Driving Combo, Spot, SAE or Driving, Wide Cornering, SAE.
With Baja though, you have the choice between the Sport or the Pro.
You can go with the Pro's, but you would probably be extremely happy with the sports in one of those combinations with the SAE light pair.

I will leave you with this video on the Rigid Radiance Fog kit. I don't have videos with each model right yet, but this can serve as an example for the triple fog kits.

Let me know if you have any questions-

John
SPVparts.com
317-93-GO SPV

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Curious what you are basing this opinion on? Looking at Diode SS3s and Baja Squadrons they physically are not that different. Do you get more returns with the SS3s? The performance on the SS3 is definitely better.

We're one of the largest stocking dealers for both Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics. My comment is based on years of testing both products.

Diode makes a better "STREET LEGAL" light, but Baja makes a better overall light. The quality of the Baja Designs housing is superb compared to that of the Diode Dynamics housing. BUT you pay less $$ for the Diode Dynamics lights.

We've found that for street legal operations, Diode Dynamics has a better pattern. But for off-road purposes, Baja Designs wins hands down.

We run a mixture of Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics on our new Bronco. Our Gen2 Raptor is 100% Baja Designs and the Gen3 Raptor we've been working on is 100% Baja Designs

Rausch1.jpg

LP6-2.jpg

Bronco5.jpg

So you can see we like both brands. It's just Baja Designs survives better off-road then Diode Dynamics due to their housing quality. But Baja Designs SAE fogs were designed to be FOGS only whereas Diode went for a lot of light output in a wide pattern, so that's where they win in terms of street legality.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're one of the largest stocking dealers for both Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics. My comment is based on years of testing both products.

Diode makes a better "STREET LEGAL" light, but Baja makes a better overall light. The quality of the Baja Designs housing is superb compared to that of the Diode Dynamics housing. BUT you pay less $$ for the Diode Dynamics lights.

We've found that for street legal operations, Diode Dynamics has a better pattern. But for off-road purposes, Baja Designs wins hands down.

We run a mixture of Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics on our new Bronco. Our Gen2 Raptor is 100% Baja Designs and the Gen3 Raptor we've been working on is 100% Baja Designs

View attachment 341210

View attachment 341211

View attachment 341212

So you can see we like both brands. It's just Baja Designs survives better off-road then Diode Dynamics due to their housing quality. But Baja Designs SAE fogs were designed to be FOGS only whereas Diode went for a lot of light output in a wide pattern, so that's where they win in terms of street legality.
Thanks, I appreciate the response!