Commuter Car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billet707

Reaction score
I’m looking at a job change that would add a bit of distance to my commute, as well as a couple road trips a month. I was looking at an inexpensive but still fun car to save some mileage and keep a bit of wear and tear off of my 54k-mi Raptor. I’m looking at FiST and FoST cars in the 10-20k range and might push it to a toyobaru in the low 20’s.

Would you guys think about doing something like this or am I just buying a toy because I want one? I’m thinking the new gig could add as much as 600 miles a month to my current 600. Probably would average out to 1000. These cars basically get double the fuel mileage and miles rule when it comes to Raptor depreciation.

Thoughts?
I have a 2015 ford fusion hybrid that has been amazing. Up to 130k miles on it now, it averages 40 to 60mpg depending on how you drive. Gets more range than the raptor and cost about or under 20 to fill up. You can find some for under 10k. It has everything interior wise the raptor does. Sound, seats, sunroof, nav screen etc. And it's always nice to have a backup car once you start to mod or break the raptor

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
I've got a '19 5 speed Fiesta that I bought new (incidentally just a few short months before buying my Raptor). 80k miles so far and the car has served me well- nothing other than routine oil changes, brakes and a set of tires. It's no GT500, but it's fun enough to drive and gets ~37MPG to boot. I drive that since work is 44 miles one way for me. But, once I move to another plant that's half the distance, I intend to drive the Raptor much more often!

Last edited:

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to figure out something too. I drove my 19 Raptor daily. My commute is 33 to 55 (66-110 total). Just traded it on the 24 with 86K miles. My problem is we’re likely relocating to Cleveland and i will be working downtown… I’ll want to be living out of the city and no way in hell the Raptor can begin to fit in the garage spaces I’ll be parking in downtown. Wife drives a Wrangler.., I’m thinking something fun… AWD probably. I havre flirted with used BMW, Stinger, I don’t know… I’m all over the place.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
My favorite gas saver commuter car was a Chevy Sonic hatchback with a manual. I was AVERAGING 32-34mpg. Super fun car to drive with a turbo. Didn’t mind it as a beater.

I’d love to get a Focus RS just for the fun of it.
About 6-8 years ago, we had a GM credit card. Get a notice in the mail from the CC people that we can get an extra 4k on the purchase of any new chevy before Jan 1 or whatever, plus whatever points we had accumulated.

We loaded up and went to Capitol Chevrolet and stroked a check for 8k and bought a new Sonic and flipped it for a few bucks, after flogging it around a bit of course. Fun little plastic car. We made 20% on it after taxes.

They have since changed the CC company and it sucks like all the rest.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
are they? i know they barely made any in 2019.. less than 750, but i thought the 17, and 18 production was higher numbers like in the 20k range, clearly i was wrong...

View attachment 452004

i think they did a terrible job with the marketing on the car, plus the SHO was about the same price with better performance and other features..

i think its a really cool car, and also much sportier and youthful than the taurus, but totally slept on. it never caught on, and its probably because they didnt use ST badging..

ran 13.8@94 with a K&N drop in..
Ford quit marketing cars 30 years ago. If it isn't a truck or SUV they are lost.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are no gas friendly fun cars. Don't entertain op lol.

Comfortable and reliable is what you meant, and that is Toyota/Lexus/Honda. Aight, you're welcome.

Do not show up here with anything German, unless its a Porsche.