Climbing Sand Hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Last time I was at a sand dune I did the following
ORM
4x4 hi
TC off
Diffs locked
All gears locked out except for 1-3
All tires aired down to 14psi

Climbed all dunes at Silver Lake including "test hill" without any issues whatsoever.

OP
OP
-Quinn-

-Quinn-

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. All give that a try next time. Noah, bring a 2010 when you swing by next week, we'll talk. :^)

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, be careful turning your tires THAT much - that's how I snapped a CV in the sand on the four low video hill (different time, not caught on camera).

Dumb question but what's wrong with the turning tires ?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dumb question but what's wrong with the turning tires ?

Harder on the CV joint - especially at full lock. I've broken mine twice. First time was the situation I described. Second time was a fluke and I've never been able to explain it. I was slowly backing up straight (in the sand) pulling out a Montero that was stuck and PING! Broken.

To be clear, I'm saying don't turn them to full lock under a lot of gas. It CAN be very helpful and effective to turn back and forth attempting to bite more traction under power - just don't turn to FULL lock while goosing it.