GEN 2 Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree if there is real data.

I keep my cars to 200K miles and this is a $500 project that no one can supply the ROI numbers.

1. Real data on oil used or "Catched" is good to know.

2. Can the engine go to 200K (No can) and what is the damage at say 150K miles with out installing a catch can?

For starters, you bought a high performance Raptor, not a fleet truck.

The ROI is entirely dependent on how much you value keeping it running its best.

No one is going to run a multi vehicle 200k + thousand mile scientific study to sell you a $300-500 catch can. That's just not how this works. These are small manufacturers and they don't have that kind of time or money for R&D.

Not trying to be a **** at all here. But you can see plain as day in the pictures that these things are sending oil through the intake.

You definitely don't need one. Even a direct injected 3.5 EB can make 200k miles. The valves will be absolutely disgustingly filthy, the engine will be down on power and fuel economy, but it's not going to blow up just because it's junked up inside.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starters, you bought a high performance Raptor, not a fleet truck.

The ROI is entirely dependent on how much you value keeping it running its best.

No one is going to run a multi vehicle 200k + thousand mile scientific study to sell you a $300-500 catch can. That's just not how this works. These are small manufacturers and they don't have that kind of time or money for R&D.

Not trying to be a **** at all here. But you can see plain as day in the pictures that these things are sending oil through the intake.

You definitely don't need one. Even a direct injected 3.5 EB can make 200k miles. The valves will be absolutely disgustingly filthy, the engine will be down on power and fuel economy, but it's not going to blow up just because it's junked up inside.

This engine was first produced and sold over 4 years ago, so some are getting above 100K miles and there is data somewhere.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This engine was first produced and sold over 4 years ago, so some are getting above 100K miles and there is data somewhere.

I do not believe that to be the case. As far as I am aware, the 2017 Raptor was the very first use of this engine. And, to date, I believe they've only put it one other vehicle (the 2018 Navigator).

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not believe that to be the case. As far as I am aware, the 2017 Raptor was the very first use of this engine. And, to date, I believe they've only put it one other vehicle (the 2018 Navigator).

At the ford web site I build a F150 and pick an engine

"3.5L EcoBoost® V6 engine with Auto Start/Stop Technology" : "EcoBoost with even higher ratings of 375 horsepower and best-in-class* 470 lb.-ft. of torque, beating out all gas and diesel competitors. This engine delivers the F-150 max best-in-class* tow rating, too. Big improvements: Ford-first port fuel and direct injection (PFDI) with two injectors per cylinder—one in the air intake port and another inside the cylinder—to improve power and efficiency. All-new twin turbos" this engine is in 6 F150 NOW

Now I pick the Raptor Engine

"High-Output 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 engine with Auto Start/Stop Technology" and "Unique to the Raptor is a twin-turbo, intercooled DOHC 24-valve, 3.5L EcoBoost® with port fuel and direct injection system and 10-speed automatic. This high-output EcoBoost generates more power than the previous 6.2L V8 – a massive 450 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque."

Both have twin turbo
Both have port fuel and direct injection (PFDI)

The Raptor has more power, so you are correct thats only in the Raptor but both have Twin Turbo's. That's been around for 4 years on the base F-150?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they didn't add direct/port injection to the base F150 EB 3.5 until 2017. Also I'm sure the engines are very similar but we don't know what all they changed when the upped the boost for the HO. Have heard different valve covers (which could have been designed in such a way to attempt to prevent recirculating oil mist).

The earlier engines had direct injection only and absolutely horrific problems with carbon build up.

-sludge-build-up-intake-vavles-possible-fix-carbon.jpg

Obviously the addition of port injection will help but we don't know how much fuel runs through the intake vs. going direct to the chamber.

Bottom line, a catch can is a good idea. As is running techron periodically.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they didn't add direct/port injection to the base F150 EB 3.5 until 2017. Also I'm sure the engines are very similar but we don't know what all they changed when the upped the boost for the HO. Have heard different valve covers (which could have been designed in such a way to attempt to prevent recirculating oil mist).

The earlier engines had direct injection only and absolutely horrific problems with carbon build up.

-sludge-build-up-intake-vavles-possible-fix-carbon.jpg

Obviously the addition of port injection will help but we don't know how much fuel runs through the intake vs. going direct to the chamber.

Bottom line, a catch can is a good idea. As is running techron periodically.

So we will not know untill 2 more years go by and trucks run up 200k miles.

Till then I will run techron every month.

roadkiller

Reaction score
imo oil catch can is an overkill for the stock 3.5 engine,I had 2 gtr’s before the raptor (3.8 twin turbo)one of them full bolts with 577awhp on a mustang dyno -both cars had catch cans installed and they were collecting very little residue if any at all to say the least and that’s checking it at every 3k oil change intervals with 0W40 mobil 1 oil and many highway pulls,countless WOT and roll racers.

Attachments

• 3A28D936-1911-4818-8CE0-8CAC5A4320D9.jpg
    3A28D936-1911-4818-8CE0-8CAC5A4320D9.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 81

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
imo oil catch can is an overkill for the stock 3.5 engine,I had 2 gtr’s before the raptor (3.8 twin turbo)one of them full bolts with 577awhp on a mustang dyno -both cars had catch cans installed and they were collecting very little residue if any at all to say the least and that’s checking it at every 3k oil change intervals with 0W40 mobil 1 oil and many highway pulls,countless WOT and roll racers.

how do you even remotely make the correlation that because your nissan 3.8L didnt have much blowby, a 3.5L ford wont either?

what the ****

roadkiller

Reaction score
I’m really not in a mood to argue with someone unknown entity on the internet,so point i was making is that engineers at Ford most likely know and have anticipated about oil blow by on twin turbo engine in a pickup tuck.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another way.

Check out this link Detroit Tech Roundup: 8 Treats Including the 37-mpg F-150 Development Truck - Motor Trend

go past the F150 getting 37 MPG and find "Clean Valves in a Jiffy"

where they clean for $120 a service

"described an intake-valve-deposit cleansing system that has finally hit the market in two forms. Valvoline EasyGDI First Defense can be administered by ASC/Quick Lube technicians. It essentially involves removing the manifold air pressure sensor, mounting a nozzle where it was, and using this nozzle to fog the manifold with one or two 22-ounce cans of intake cleaner product (aerosolized by shop air) while the engine is running. "

Results?????

"Looking at the open intake valves with a borescope showed them to be badly gunked up with carbon deposits. One can of cleaner had them looking mostly clean."