Camera not recognized - both front and rear backup cameras not displaying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoshiTheRaptor

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some help. I am getting a blue screen on my display when trying to view the rear view backup camera, if I push the front camera button I get nothing and then eventually get a message "camera not recognized". It was working perfectly fine earlier today, The only change I made is tapped the rear view mirror wiring harness for my radar detector. As far as I can tell its unrelated to the backup/front cameras. I removed it to eliminate that in case.

Anyone else have similar issues, I searched and couldn't find solutions other then having a dealer replace the camera?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What circuit did you tap into? It’s unlikely that both cameras failed at the same time; it needs to be diagnosed. Before going to the dealer you may want to use ForScan (free) and a compatible adapter to see if it’s something you can figure out and repair yourself.

OP
OP
YoshiTheRaptor

YoshiTheRaptor

Reaction score
What circuit did you tap into? It’s unlikely that both cameras failed at the same time; it needs to be diagnosed. Before going to the dealer you may want to use ForScan (free) and a compatible adapter to see if it’s something you can figure out and repair yourself.

Update I just fixed it this morning! Self inflicted, turns out I blew fuse 36 on the passenger side compartment, when fiddling with the rear view mirror wire tap.

Its a 15AMP Fuse which runs "360 camera module. Heated steering wheel module. Rear-view mirror. Rear heated seats". I replaced the fuse and we are back in business!

tractorman

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor, and the cameras work fine. I also have a 2021 F250 Tremor, and I keep blowing fuse 36 which, as stated above, makes me lose cameras, cruise control (adaptive), and rear heated seats. Sometimes replacing the fuse fixes the issue for a couple of days, sometimes the fuse will blow immediately. I've posted over on the Tremor forum, but they lack FordTechOne!

I'm too busy to get the truck into the dealership for the next few weeks. We have a good local dealer. Meanwhile, does anyone have any idea why this fuse randomly blows?

By the way, this is the best of both worlds. The Raptor is fun as a daily driver and fire roads, etc. I use the 6.7l Tremor exclusively to pull a flatbed trailer on which I deliver compact tractors. I love them both.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor, and the cameras work fine. I also have a 2021 F250 Tremor, and I keep blowing fuse 36 which, as stated above, makes me lose cameras, cruise control (adaptive), and rear heated seats. Sometimes replacing the fuse fixes the issue for a couple of days, sometimes the fuse will blow immediately. I've posted over on the Tremor forum, but they lack FordTechOne!

I'm too busy to get the truck into the dealership for the next few weeks. We have a good local dealer. Meanwhile, does anyone have any idea why this fuse randomly blows?

By the way, this is the best of both worlds. The Raptor is fun as a daily driver and fire roads, etc. I use the 6.7l Tremor exclusively to pull a flatbed trailer on which I deliver compact tractors. I love them both.
what do you have wired in?

tractorman

Reaction score
The only thing wired in, meaning non-factory wiring, is the controls for my TransferFlow 40-gallon tank/toolbox. I put that in when the truck had less than 1000 miles on it. It has 16k miles now and is almost a year old. When fuse 36 blows, my Transfer Flow fuel display monitor continues to work, so I am for sure not on that circuit.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only thing wired in, meaning non-factory wiring, is the controls for my TransferFlow 40-gallon tank/toolbox. I put that in when the truck had less than 1000 miles on it. It has 16k miles now and is almost a year old. When fuse 36 blows, my Transfer Flow fuel display monitor continues to work, so I am for sure not on that circuit.
Fuses open (blow) either due to a short to ground in a circuit or a component that is either shorted or drawing too much current. Since it’s intermittent, it’s most like a chaffed harness.

tractorman

Reaction score
Thanks, FordTechOne, that is what I suspected. I've looked at the harness back by the rear bumper for the rear camera, and I've also looked at the harness coming off the interior fuse box. We have a good dealer nearby, I just need to get the truck to them. But as a dealer for tractors, which are far less complex, I realize the difficulty of finding an intermittent issue. I think I'll keep swapping in fuses for a while until the problem becomes more steady.

I want to thank you for your contribution to this forum. You are a goldmine of information.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about the tank itself? might want to check for damaged wires where the tank is mounted? did you pull the bed? just trying to get an idea. if you have pictures of the setup, it would help

tractorman

Reaction score
how about the tank itself? might want to check for damaged wires where the tank is mounted? did you pull the bed? just trying to get an idea. if you have pictures of the setup, it would help
I did not pull the bed. This tank sits in the bed and is a toolbox and a tank. The tank has a tiny pump that transfers fuel automatically, which is run off a fused 12v lead hooked directly to a battery. There is a controller that monitors the fuel levels in the factory main tank and also the extra tank. It uses logic to tell the pump when to transfer a certain amount of fuel to the main tank. The pump works fine. The controller/display is not affected by fuse #36. However, I will take your advice and look at that wiring to see if something got disturbed. I am a careful guy when wiring, using grommets, split loom, solder when appropriate and shrink tube. But it pays to double-check. It is essentially this unit: https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116188

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter