Burning Smell from Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking to see if the community has any input before I head to the dealership for service...

I've had my 2019 for about five weeks now, and just rolled over 500 miles on the odometer. Whenever I pull the truck into my garage and close the bay door, I can smell the odor of something burning. At first I just assumed it was surface oil/liquid on the engine burning off. But I doubt that would still be the case after 500 miles.

The odor seems to have a rubber scent to it, so I'm wondering if there's a belt rubbing somewhere. It's also not overly strong -- it's difficult to notice parked outside. I checked the oil level, and it seems fine. There are no obvious noises or any other observations of note from the engine compartment.

Has anyone experienced this or have advice on course of action?

Thanks!

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
MIne had that "new car" burning off smell for about 1000 miles. At first I thought I had a leaking oil pan. Crawled all over it and found nothing. After about 1000 miles it has been smell free.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
500 miles....you are just burning off various coatings put on metals in manufacturing. Lubricants to anti rust oils.

Completely normal.

northerner77

Reaction score
My wife's 2018 Expedition had the exact same smell. I feel like it took about 2k for that to go away, as mentioned, just various coatings on engine components in my opinion.

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. That's what I was hoping it was, but don't remember having similar experiences with past new vehicles. But then again, I'm a little more observant with this one, lol.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do have a burning smell, but typically only after running the truck wide open.

Rubbery smell, not really exhaust or metal.

17k miles 2017 SCREW.