Bucking and snorting on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The active shutters in front of the intercooler operate off of data collected for air condition, throttle, and some other things. That active shutter is specifically to protect the intercooler- nothing else.
You should go back and do research on all the issues surrounding this over the years. It was not a minor issue just affecting a few. You are nuts if you believe that! Follow a few ecoboost forums and you will see many that experienced it. Sure, Ford has done a ton of work to figure this problem out, but I still think they have more work to do.

They say you are a troll, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. My family must be lucky. My mother had a 2010 Lincoln MKS with the 3.5L EcoBoost...one of the very first! Ran it until about 60k...traded it for a 2014 MKS 3.5L EcoBoost, which she still drives daily. Neither have ever experienced any problems with the engine.

My father drives a 2016 F-150 2.7L EcoBoost...which has the intercooler in the same spot as the Raptor...20k so far and no issues.

Brother-in law drives a 2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost...80k...still driving it daily...never had any issue with the engine.

My Raptor...granted, only 1500 miles on it now...no issues, despite driving 3 hours to a car show with over an hour of that being one of the heaviest rainfalls I have ever seen.

Beyond that, one of our local customers at work...2013 F-150 EcoBoost...ran until 200k towing an 8k lbs trailer 5 days a week...one turbo failed, but no misfires. He has a new EcoBoost now.

Sure, I'm only citing a few anecdotal cases of trucks I'm aware of. But I think you're vastly overblowing the true problem. If you hadn't noticed, some posters on forums like to jump on a bandwagon. A few may be hired by the competition to post negative things. Others post problems their truck doesn't have, to try and get attention...and others post problems their truck doesn't have because they don't even own a truck. A forum also represents only a tiny fraction of all truck owners.

Back to the shutters...I'm well aware of what they are for. I purchased the workshop manuals for the 2018 F-150. I understand they can open and close based upon input from things like you mention...A/C, engine temp, engine load, etc. But...if the shutters for the intercooler are solely to protect the intercooler from condensation...when would they open? And why would the A/C being on have any say over those shutters? But to save you the trouble...they are to assist with fuel economy and emissions.

OP
OP
FatBuoy

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP with the problem originally reported sounds more like a transmission problem than anything else. In normal mode, the transmission is quick to upshift and reluctant to downshift. When moderate to heavy throttle is suddenly applied, the transmission can be quite jerky to downshift, and it can be delayed.

Hey Troverman. OP here. As others have stated, this happens while in the same gear, not when the trans is upshifting or downshifting. Since my original post, I have switched to Premium, added a Pedal Commander and a BoostMax. This wasn't to alleviate the problem, it was simply for more power and throttle response. The surging still happens.

^^ Wow!!! ^^ you are misinformed on the ecoboost condensation problems.
Ford can't put a hole in the system because of EPA regulations.
Ford knew of the condensation issues and made TSB after TSB for it which included blocker plates and different tunes.
The active shutters ARE for the intercooler. They block air to make it less efficient and reduce opportunity for condensation to build. It seems to work for the most part.

Watch out Squatch! You are about to give your new/old/new/old identity away!

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
They say you are a troll, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. My family must be lucky. My mother had a 2010 Lincoln MKS with the 3.5L EcoBoost...one of the very first! Ran it until about 60k...traded it for a 2014 MKS 3.5L EcoBoost, which she still drives daily. Neither have ever experienced any problems with the engine.

My father drives a 2016 F-150 2.7L EcoBoost...which has the intercooler in the same spot as the Raptor...20k so far and no issues.

Brother-in law drives a 2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost...80k...still driving it daily...never had any issue with the engine.

My Raptor...granted, only 1500 miles on it now...no issues, despite driving 3 hours to a car show with over an hour of that being one of the heaviest rainfalls I have ever seen.

Beyond that, one of our local customers at work...2013 F-150 EcoBoost...ran until 200k towing an 8k lbs trailer 5 days a week...one turbo failed, but no misfires. He has a new EcoBoost now.

Sure, I'm only citing a few anecdotal cases of trucks I'm aware of. But I think you're vastly overblowing the true problem. If you hadn't noticed, some posters on forums like to jump on a bandwagon. A few may be hired by the competition to post negative things. Others post problems their truck doesn't have, to try and get attention...and others post problems their truck doesn't have because they don't even own a truck. A forum also represents only a tiny fraction of all truck owners.

Back to the shutters...I'm well aware of what they are for. I purchased the workshop manuals for the 2018 F-150. I understand they can open and close based upon input from things like you mention...A/C, engine temp, engine load, etc. But...if the shutters for the intercooler are solely to protect the intercooler from condensation...when would they open? And why would the A/C being on have any say over those shutters? But to save you the trouble...they are to assist with fuel economy and emissions.

You realize the transverse applications rarely exhibited condensate induced misfires due to the intercooler location, right?
If you look around the internet at different forums, there are several that have stickies on this very condensate issue (different than OPs problems here). That should tell you the magnitude of the problem. You are extremely lucky to have never experienced misfires in an ecoboost!
Also, the active shutters in front of the intercooler are specifically for the intercooler. The other F150 models do not have that second set.
Link:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/active-shutters-301837/index2/
And
https://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f118/424642d1459897018-active-shutters-active-grille-shutter-system.pdf

This is a separate topic from the OPs post about shudder with AC on. All I am stating is that the lower grill shutters that only come on ecoboost models is specifically controlled via inputs to reduce the opportunity to make condensate.

Last edited:

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to a tuner?

Not technically. However that process seemed to perform the necessary resets. Been mulling over this issue with a ford master tech friend of mine and ford has made some memory changes in the pcm of later model vehicles. This is why the battery disconnect procedure for a KAM reset aren't working (sasquach will chime in and say it was done wrong) but this is likely not the case. Modules should be reset at the dealer using ids. Sending a stock truck with the same issues to him sometime next week to try to narrow this down a bit. With my particular case it was not a tune that resolved my issue it was the resets required to export the stock tune...

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You realize the transverse applications rarely exhibited condensate induced misfires due to the intercooler location, right?
If you look around the internet at different forums, there are several that have stickies on this very condensate issue (different than OPs problems here). That should tell you the magnitude of the problem. You are extremely lucky to have never experienced misfires in an ecoboost!
Also, the active shutters in front of the intercooler are specifically for the intercooler. The other F150 models do not have that second set.
Link:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/active-shutters-301837/index2/
And
https://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f118/424642d1459897018-active-shutters-active-grille-shutter-system.pdf

This is a separate topic from the OPs post about shudder with AC on. All I am stating is that the lower grill shutters that only come on ecoboost models is specifically controlled via inputs to reduce the opportunity to make condensate.

30,000 G2 Raptors sold and the only person claiming this is a problem is someone who doesn't even have a G2. Ummm, sure, whatever you say.

rock342

Reaction score
Not technically. However that process seemed to perform the necessary resets. Been mulling over this issue with a ford master tech friend of mine and ford has made some memory changes in the pcm of later model vehicles. This is why the battery disconnect procedure for a KAM reset aren't working (sasquach will chime in and say it was done wrong) but this is likely not the case. Modules should be reset at the dealer using ids. Sending a stock truck with the same issues to him sometime next week to try to narrow this down a bit. With my particular case it was not a tune that resolved my issue it was the resets required to export the stock tune...

Hmmmm.... interested to read next steps.