Bikes on the bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I've seen some of you folks with bicycles and dirt-bikes in the bed, have seen quads on top of the diamondbacks.

Are the beds too small for a sport-bike? You guys with sport-bikes and harley's/other cruisers... using trailers?

Would like to see some photo's of your set-ups!

lathrash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my SV650 in the bed. It only fit diagonally, but didn't have any issues otherwise. Never took any pics.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
You can fit any normal motorcycle in the bed (gate down). I've only had a buddy's Kawasaki Versys in mine so far. My Dad's Sierra (same size bed) has had an FZ1, R1200GS, S1000RR, and I think a few others in it as well.

PS....this is obvious, but loading motorcycles in a Raptor SUCKS. :)

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
You can fit any normal motorcycle in the bed (gate down). I've only had a buddy's Kawasaki Versys in mine so far. My Dad's Sierra (same size bed) has had an FZ1, R1200GS, S1000RR, and I think a few others in it as well.

PS....this is obvious, but loading motorcycles in a Raptor SUCKS. :)

Not as bad as it did in my FX4. I back into my driveway and then roll fwd till my front end is 3 inches from the brick wall behind my alley. This puts the truck much flatter twhen I have the tri fold ramp laid in place. The Raptor is taller but for some reason it is less of an angle to load. Maybe the front end is shorter?

Anyway, I load my V Strom 1000 head in center of the bed. I have also had the Strom and a Buell Xb12 side by side in the bed. I do leave the tail gate down and I then place a 2 x 12 thats about 3 feet long under the back tire to keep the tail gate from bouncing. The rear biketire rides just on the tail gate but not enough to keep it pinned down, thus the board. Just don't forget to remove the board before backing the bike off. Can you say oh shit a ski!

BDRAG

CAraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my harley v rod in the bed but it uses entire tailgate. I often carry two dirt bikes in bed wikth tail gate down also. One dirtbike will fit at an angle with tailgate up.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've transported both a Husaberg dirt bike and a Buell road bike cross-country. Put them in diagonally so I could close the gate, and used tie-downs both front and rear for stability and security. No problems.

Nosbusa just ran is Hayabusa from CA to CO. He put it in straight and left the gate open. He didn't have any problems either.

The challenge with putting a motorcycle in the bed of a Raptor is getting the bike up into the bed, not transporting it once it's in there. The height of the bed makes for a larger than normal angle between the ramp and the bed, and you can bottom a road bike easily at that point. Half-way up the ramp and high-centered is not a good place to be with a full-sized road bike. A ****** (rather than straight) ramp helps, as does using terrain features to lessen the angle.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep. got my bike here to colorado with no problems except my speakers got a bit wet. i have a couple titan 9 foot ramps. they have the curve in the ramp so you dont bottom out. i use 2 ratchet straps to tie the ramp to my tow hooks and and then 2 more to tie the other ramp about a foot away. this allows me to walk along side the bike. makes loading much easier. once my ramps were secure and tightened down, i just idle first gear up the ramp. you need to put something in front of the bed though. my front wheel cover hit the bed before the tire so i put my towstrap there and cinched it down. 1700 miles and no problems. the rain storm that came through kinda sucked though. i was unloading in the rain and the ramp can get a bit slippery so be careful.

Eggmans-STI

Reaction score
I know I've seen some of you folks with bicycles and dirt-bikes in the bed, have seen quads on top of the diamondbacks.

Are the beds too small for a sport-bike? You guys with sport-bikes and harley's/other cruisers... using trailers?

Would like to see some photo's of your set-ups!

The FJ with gate down rode nicely on her maiden voyage home.

Attachments

• 20150502_184149.jpg
    20150502_184149.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 209