Bed Extender: How does it hold the tailgate down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it's been brought to my attention that the factory bed extender is supposed to hold down the tailgate when in use. How does this work? Does the extender lock in place?

Thanks...

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't get that huge space taking thing on mine. The bosses King Ranch is constantly getting in the way and he didn't care for it after a couple of years.
I know this doesn't answer the locking question but it was one option I knew I could live without compared to the space it takes up. IMO
I put two Under Cover boxes where that thing would go and have gotten a lot of use out of them.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it would necessarily LOCK it down, but it does a damn good job. So, this thing bolts to the truck in the middle of the bedrails, if you can stick with me here. Above and below the central point around which it pivots, there are holes. Those holes are for the little arm to be extended into when it's flipped in either position, in or out.

You follow? Sorry, hard to explain at 11pm. lol.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Yes it locks in place. I took mine off after 2 years. I never carry anything with the tailgate open and I would much rather use the space for gas cans or something when camping.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes it locks in place. I took mine off after 2 years. I never carry anything with the tailgate open and I would much rather use the space for gas cans or something when camping.
Awesome, thanks. Are you selling yours?

Raptor108

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The folding bed extender is much more versatile than the old style metal ones. I often use mine flipped into the bed to form a gate to keep all of our Costco stuff from rolling forward in the bed and becoming a hassle to unload in the garage. I seldom need a bed more than 5.5, but the extender does the job when it's flipped out and latched down.