Base Camp Trailer build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outfitter flaked, so I bought an 8x8 flat bed and started dismantling today. Finish tomorrow and move axle-less trailer to flatbed. Need to get some quotes for prep (sandblast or dip) before bedliner goes on.

Sometimes (all of the time) I wish I had a shop. We're buying a ranch later this year, but it can't happen soon enough.

1c77920ba17d09fad8919df57b9dbc21.jpg

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bed slider finally arrived. I pick it up tomorrow. Almost done stripping the trailer and ready to move it to the flatbed. Found a new sandblast co that I'll get a quote from. Picked up two cutting wheels for my grinder. Gotta make some cutout templates and get to cutting. Eek!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Badass!

Been looking at doing something like this over the years.

Wife would rather have an RV, so this has been put on the back burner.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at RV's and think 2 things: who's going to drive / pull that house on on wheels? And I sure wish I had a friend that owned one. Lol

My woman is a tent camper. We initially just wanted a quick way to pack up and roll out. Now I'm into the project, I see that we could use this year round. Pull this up to your BBQ, ball game, tail gate, whatever and you've got electrical, hot water, & propane. It's a fair bit of work and mental effort, but I think we're going to get a lot of use out of it for sure!

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up the bed slider, tent, annex, and tonneau cover today. The last time I will visit the shady outfitter. I asked him about the shipping and he lied to my face. What an idiot.

Dropped off the bed slide for the cabinet & countertop to be fabricated. Yay!

3316d3093c55e8379cc48461dad966ef.jpg

298029fe244ad6f25f7cb4a54410bbe7.jpg

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I look at RV's and think 2 things: who's going to drive / pull that house on on wheels? And I sure wish I had a friend that owned one. Lol

My woman is a tent camper. We initially just wanted a quick way to pack up and roll out. Now I'm into the project, I see that we could use this year round. Pull this up to your BBQ, ball game, tail gate, whatever and you've got electrical, hot water, & propane. It's a fair bit of work and mental effort, but I think we're going to get a lot of use out of it for sure!

Have you checked out any of the pop-up camper forums? I visit two of them from time to time. Both have valuable information regarding home builds like this.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php

One build you may enjoy checking out a but is this one.
http://popupportal.com/index.php?topic=91633.0

1983 Coleman Columbia

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made cardboard templates of the 3 holes I need to cut. Used some soap stone to trace them onto the box. Headed to the coast today, but I'll cut these out, hopefully Sunday/Monday.

Yesterday I picked up 4 24" Jack stands to put under while I remove the suspension. I had flashbacks of coyote sawing the board he was sitting on over the cliff. Lol don't want to remove 1 too many suspension bolts and end up with a head in the shape of a pistachio. I really hope to have this thing to the sandblaster Monday.

5efa8290b7e646edfaa7880846beb00b.jpg

dbc4cccedc6635ed0141b61b922bb09c.jpg

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was a fun one, partly because I'm off work all week and partly because I completed a part of the project that I had no idea if I could actually do, almost completely, by myself.

This morning, I got out the grinder and put some holes in the side to fit the water inlet and shower.

I took a mid day break and picked up 2 1/2" 4x8 sheets of marine plywood and delivered to the cabinet guy. He's going to start framing out the cabinets and get me a quote for a stainless top, hopefully this week.

On to the big work:

I got 4 6 tonne Jack stands and blocked up the body. I removed the final attachments and disconnected the axle. I had no idea how I could get the axle out from under it. After much thought, I went back to my country boy roots and went hillbilly! I used 2 1000lb tiedown straps and attached them to the roof of my ****** apartment car port. I slowly ratcheted it up just enough to get the axle out. I rolled the axle out while my wonderful woman held the box still. Then it occurred to me that those tie down straps don't have the ability to ratchet open. Hmm. Now I have a box hanging from the roof of my ****** apartment car port and no way to get it down without dropping it. I rolled the other flatbed under and then after some fenagling, set up the Jack stands. I used my recovery Jack to lift up one end. Then I could loose the tie downs. The recovery Jack has a set-down option, so I could then lower it onto the flatbed. Bam!

My woman was impressed with my hillbilly ingenuity and the job is done. Ready for the sand blaster.

e3d7b236630f3fb2c7d22bc4f6d4bfe8.jpg

0e6ba9079e7adc215519a54c0f93c115.jpg

1b56649bc2155d751177f3083732e4c1.jpg

feb0b00894b42e1aaa2ca876b475c0e0.jpg

For sale:
0eea44d783e87417e7ae16f7554211ab.jpg